Oven Repair: repointing arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Repair: repointing arch

What correct refractory cement should I use to repair the failure of the Refractory cement in the joint of my inner arch. The arch is in two solid pieces and is not moving at the base on either side. I only need a little, mabey a qt total to repair a few other novice bricklayer mistakes. The pictures should explain it better.

Thanks

Derk

Re: Oven Repair: repointing arch

You could pretty much use any refractory mortar. What did you use when you built it? I don't know if they would even sell such a small quantity - you may be best at using the home brew. I would take an angle grinder to clean out all the loose stuff plus it will give you a clean surface for the repair.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I had both homebrew and a bag from FornoBravo. I can't remember what I used where.

Comment

Derkp, I got you covered, expect it in the mail in the next week or so.

Comment

Thanks Tom, not looking for gifts, just advice, but is much appreciated. How comes the backyard? Any new projects?

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Derk

Comment

All is well, the latest use of your wonderful honey is this recipe, it is so freaking good it is unbelievable (I don't usually do recipes, but this one I did):

The Elusive Secret Dipping Sauce aka SDS, secret no more. | Serious Eats : Talk : Cooking and Baking

I am sending you a couple of tubes of repair refractory mortar, they fit in a caulk gun, just clean out the loose mortar in the joints, gun this stuff in and tool the joints flush with your finger.
            Last edited by Tscarborough; 12-11-2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks again tom, the sauce looks great, unfortunatly all the other people in our house are pretty bland lovers when it comes to sauces. Taco time sauce is too much for them.

Derk

Comment

Reading the thread to learn from the experts. The dipping sauce looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  Derkp, I got you covered, expect it in the mail in the next week or so.
                  Tom, that stuff you sent me to help me out many mooooooooonths ago, maybe even a 1 year ago, never arrived, did you actually send it?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

No I didn't Brickie, I had no idea I had to offer up my first born to mail stuff to Australia.

Comment

Working...
                    X