Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Hi,
    whats the difference and does it matter to us?(I assume seasoned is just allowed to dry naturally??)

Thanks

Richard

Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Rich,

It doesn't matter to us. Kiln dried lumber is more stable (won't warp) and the added cost is worth it if you are building something like cabinets.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les!

Comment

As long ast the moisture content is below 20% its doesnt mater

Comment

Originally posted by JACKO3275 View Post
          As long ast the moisture content is below 20% its doesnt mater
          What's the downside of a higher moisture content as long as it burns?

Comment

Smoke, soot, and doesn't burn as hot (at least not in the beginning)

Comment

Thx guys, will try and stick with kiln dried to ensure dryness

Comment

Never heard of anywhere that kiln dried wood was required for use in any type of wood burning device!

If you live near a cabinet shop or have access to builders who regularly have scrap materials then they are a good source for kindling or firewood. But you have to remember- kiln drying usually starts by introducing moisture to wood then it extracts it to specific uniform dryness. Once the wood is processed however, it will return to the moisture levels of its surroundings.

When I process my firewood, I try to remove as much bark as possible while it is being split. Wood without the bark dries quicker. Many people have differing ideas on this issue. Some say to keep the bark on, but split it once.
                Others say to stack the wood with the bark upward so that it sheds water if exposed to rain, others say bark downward so the water can evaporate more easily from the wood.

Mine is different. I split the wood first attempting to peel the outer layers off with a hydraulic splitter. These off casts I will use for my WFO. The center bark less wood is used for a wood stove inside my home. Removing the bark also removes places for insects to breed and call home. These thin bark slabs that result dry very quickly and can be used the same year as cut.

Comment

Originally posted by RichC View Post
                  Thx guys, will try and stick with kiln dried to ensure dryness
                  Rich, save your money. Pine can dry good enough to burn in 6 months. Oak may take a year. Kiln dried is overkill.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Gudday
                    Kiln dry your own! Pack some wood in you oven after your finished using it and let the remaining heat do it for you.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Rich,
                      You have gotten some great! advice. I'll try to add to that, if I can. I just did a search on Ireland's Forests. Only 10% of your country is in forest . I see where you are coming from now. Try adding "wind/ice falls" to your oven's diet. In the towns near to where I live, most people welcome someone who would pick up their yard after a storm. Most of these limbs are small and have already dried before they fell. Some may be a little punky, but you can sort them out. I keep a set of loppers with me at all times. You would be surprised at how much wood I pick up this way. And, most of the wind falls are already seasoned. I have also, came right behind the power company when they were trimming green limbs from their right of way. Small limbs, even if they are green when they are cut dry, pretty fast . Some weeks, I may only pick up only a wheel barrow full. But then, I have had to go back home and get my pickup and chain saw .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great advice from Gulf. I do similar work to get limbs and branches from the utility companies where I live. It is easy and they usually are willing to let you have them for free. You just need to be in the right place at the right time to get some free firewood.
                        jon

Comment

We purchased kiln dried for our first firing and it was real expensive, around ?200 a tonne bag, that lasted around 3 months. We get a trailer full of seasoned hardwood logs for ?90 that lasts 9 months.
                          Where can I find logs? I need more!
                          Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Hi rich
                            Smoky wood will not damage the oven - only cause a nuisance if you have neighbours. Recently I got rid of a Christmas tree and some Leylandii (you might know what a pain this stuff is) branches in the oven. The Christmas tree was so dry it burned insantly like petrol. The leylandii was fresh and smoked like hell at first but when it caught properly it stopped smoking and cleared all the soot from the dome after about two hours of feeding it that stuff.
                            Aidan
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Here in this area, there is a virtually limitless supply of wooden pallets. I could go get a pickup load anytime. There are so many businesses that accumulate them, they love people to come get them. I run a small firewood business during the summer (we live near a campground and sell wood to campers) and use the pallet slats for kindling. The large majority of the pallets here are oak. Great stuff, for free. Keeps them out of the landfill, too. If you can find a good pallet source, it's great stuff for your WFO, free. At the least, a good way to supplement your supply.
                              My Build:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
                              X