X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jengineer
    replied
    405 & Rosecrans

There is a business on the north side of Rosecrans heading east from the 405. Next time I swing by I will check out the name and number.

there is also another place near Playa del Rey. I don't know the name or number and only get over there 1x or 2x per year, "Killer Shrimp" run. Again , if I remember, the next time I go that way I will post it.

Humm hard maple and ash - my mouth is watering.

My apologies to james as we have started to hijack this thread from starting fires to fuel for fires.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Musa
    replied
    my brother gave me a bunch of Eucalyptus. i would recommmend against it for pizza. its like burning tires. very oily - bad taste.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    A Burning Issue

Marcel,

Or, you and he could add on a few more thousand miles, and drive to Ontario. Bring your chainsaws, and we'll drop a bunch of hard maple and ash in a woodlot I have access to. I'll supply the beer: Molson Canadian, natch.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Marcel
    replied
    A burning desire for local firewood

(M) I did a Search on Google for "Firewood for sale Thousand Oaks, California."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Among other returns I saw: California Firewood Sales - 15 miles NE - 10800 Topanga Canyon Blvd, Chatsworth, 91311 - (818) 886-2776

I suspect much of what you'll find will be Eucalyptus which is supposed to burn hot but may pop and be less manageable due to oils in the wood.

Maybe if you change the Search terms from Thousand Oaks to "southern California" you'll get more returns.

Here are 2 freebies but they may be very old:

FREE FIREWOOD! You split. Call 805-499-9107. FREE HORSE MANURE and FREE LOCAL DELIVERY! ... 3248 Monte Carlo Dr., THOUSAND OAKS. NEIGHBORHOOD GARAGE SALE! ...

FREE FREE FIREWOOD. You Haul. Call 805497-2266 between 8AM-11AM or 7PM-9PM. FREE FIREWOOD! ... 1961 Country Club Rd., THOUSAND OAKS. TWO FAMILY GARAGE SALE! ...

Such wood is often construction discards of broken 2x4s and generally not worth the trouble.

If you'd like to drive 900 miles N. to Oregon, I'll lend you my chain saw and you can cut up downed Alder and Big Leaf Maple. I charge 89 cents per ton but you need to bring your own wheel barrow and pneumatic splitter.

Ciao,

Marcel

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    I am having a difficult time finding a good source for wood.
    I live in the Tousand Oaks area, ventura County Southern California.

Can anuone in the LA or surrounding area provide name of a good resource. Tired of buying wood from supermarket.
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• vitoduke
    replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n265783[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n265784[/ATTACH] Propane torch

I'm looking forward to starting the next fire in the oven. ---Mel
    Last edited by admin; 12-18-2015, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Propane torch

Yep. I got a propane torch and it works a lot better than a gas match. Thanks for that.

James

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Starting Up

James,

I use several methods for fire start up, including the ubiquitous newspaper and match. However, for a fail safe start, I use a propane torch that I bought years ago for plumbing. It has a spreader tip. Part of it, I guess, is using very small split softwood or branches from the yard as a base. Get that going and anything will burn on top of it.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• james
    started a topic Starting your fire

Starting your fire

Torch or match?

Mel's posting got me thinking. We have a good number of brick oven owners out there, and I am wondering how you start your fire. I have used all of my wax fire-starters, and had to resort to newspaper and a match last weekend. It was terrible.

Do you use a fire starter and a match, or a more serious torch?

What is the state of the art?

Send photos and recommendations.

James
    Last edited by james; 06-06-2006, 11:23 PM.
Working...
X