X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maver
    replied
    Re: Starting your fire

nothing wrong - that's exactly what I do. Some (those with weedburners) would call us wimps, that's all.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

This may be a really stupid question, but what is WRONG with starting your fire with newspaper and a match?? Or is it a question of style?

Admittedly I'm only at my third curing fire, but it seems to have worked so far...

Leave a comment:

• fullback66
    replied

The lint from your clothes Dryer burns fast. It is a great way to start the oven.
    fb66

Leave a comment:

• mwalshkc
    replied

FB recommends against using charcoal to start your fire. Anyone know why lump charcoal is not a good idea? It starts easly and get to tempature quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Balty Knowles
    replied

Sorry RT, Didn't read your post. I was adding to one of the original posts of sharing how to start a fire ith no kindling.

Rgds

Balty

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Balty, I did not actually use an accelerator, my wife thought I did after seeing me and the fire. two pieces crumpled newspaper, a butane 'match' fire starter, and a few twigs are all I need.

Thanks Patrick, I thought so too

Leave a comment:

• Balty Knowles
    replied

I would imagine any type of chemical soaked starter would have residue that transfers to the food, like bbq starter fluid. If you don't have kindling try paper kindling like this.

Tightly roll news paper & tie a knot like a pretzel so it stays together. A dozen of these on top of some crumpled newspaper is nearly as good as regular kindling.

I plan on using a propane charcoal starter,you can get one cheap at Ace Hardware but when the gas bottle runs out as they always do, then the paper sticks are good.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
    Maver,

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't concerned (I have a garden hose 20' away if needed). I'm simply going to tone it down a notch from the flames of hell level that I was at.
    My wife on the other hand.....came out, saw the missing eyebrow and singed hair and then looked at the oven (flames rolling out) and actually thought I had accelerated (gas, kerosene) the process and things had gotten out of hand.....something about burning down the neighborhood. I laughed, thinking I was now a battle scared veteran .....she still isn't amused.
    Thats Funny!!!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• jengineer
    replied

For your consideration. It took me a while to find tit since the Purdue web site no longer supports fun and games. Sure glad someone finally reposted the video. Has it been 10 years already?
    Improbable Research » Blog Archive » Re-emergence of quick barbeque Grrrrrr! U-tube deleted it.

go to chi-chat for more

RT - The mosaic is very appropriate
    Last edited by jengineer; 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

good to know, if I DO decide to burn up the neighborhood

Leave a comment:

• jengineer
    replied

The proper accelerator is liquid oxygen.

Boy scouts indeed

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

You know, that is one of my favorite shows. Not much better that re-enacting my youth in a 'controled' environment and getting paid and famous to do it. Dream job!!! Combine that with Dirty Jobs and you have a carreer

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

You guys are gonna end up on Mythbusters if you're not careful!

"Next on Mythbusters: Can a man really incinerate half the neighborhood with a pizza oven..."

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Maver,

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't concerned (I have a garden hose 20' away if needed). I'm simply going to tone it down a notch from the flames of hell level that I was at.
    My wife on the other hand.....came out, saw the missing eyebrow and singed hair and then looked at the oven (flames rolling out) and actually thought I had accelerated (gas, kerosene) the process and things had gotten out of hand.....something about burning down the neighborhood. I laughed, thinking I was now a battle scared veteran .....she still isn't amused.

Leave a comment:

• maver
    replied

RT - nothing wrong with a bit of flame licking up the chimney, and if you don't lose at least one eyebrow a year you're not having nearly enough fun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X