X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose4Life
    replied
    Re: Oven Curing

Oven is almost enclosed! Fired it to 700 all day while I worked on the brick surrounding wall , kept me warm in 38 degree wet windy weather... But the crack I fixed, which was a hairline crack came right back. I had grinded out the crack and put home brew back into it. Went the entirewayaround the dome where there was a row of bricks. I really want to seal the thing up so should I leave the crack? Or should I seal it this time with this fireplace high heat mortar, then insulate and cover? I'll post a pic from yesterday but I finished an entire side today. Thanks!

Like I said, the crack is hairline. And there are a few of them...normal?
    Last edited by Moose4Life; 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Moose4Life
    replied

Will do that. Thanks. Not the seal part , suppose it's not nec after I cut the excess

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Yes, probably. Just remember that the vermicrete acts like a wick, so unless sealed it will suck water into itself.

Leave a comment:

• Moose4Life
    replied

Thanks. Also is there any merit to cutting away the excess vercrete that goes out past my dome?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Try starting here.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/s...tml#post157363

Leave a comment:

• Moose4Life
    replied

Anyone on this thread point me to a simple way of making the door for the dome? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Just give it a couple of long burns before doing the fire from hell. You don't need to go right back to the initial curing fires.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Bob
    replied

I wanted to ask James another question about the oven curing process. My oven is in its fifth year of operation. Recently there has been some real time gaps between cooks, mostly due to inclement weather. Anyway, is there a length of time between cooks that I should consider redoing the curing process due to accumulated moisture in the oven?? Rather than just firing it up hot to 7-800 degrees again? I haven't been doing it but thought it might be better to do so.

Thanks,

Jim Bob

Leave a comment:

• Moose4Life
    replied

Thanks, it's a home brew and all the joints are tight except the keystones, could never get them perfect!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Moose4Life View Post
    Quick question just finished my keystone today! And it's 40 degrees and will be 30 tonight. I have a space heater in the dome covered with a tarp/blanket/tarp. I sponged the joints before closing but I want to keep it moist while keeping it above freezing. The space heater is at its lowest setting which is probably 55' f in the dome. Think I should keep a bucket of water in the dome to keep the moisture up?
    Gudday
    if its commercial high temp mortar sorry can't comment, other than telling you to check to check with the manufacturer.
    If you curing some homebrew mortar (as opposed to heat tempering the dome), I recon you being safe and prudent. the space heater will stop it from freezing and watering a cement product during curing is always a good idea.
    I live in a hot climate where any cement work is usually damped daily and covered from the hot sun. protecting it from freezing is novel concept to me
    go well
    regards dave
    PS http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/....html#post3871
    I think this explains things best...thanks Tszar
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 12-25-2013, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I don't think it's necessary to put the water in there. Mine was curing at around 80 F with no water in the summer so 55 f no prob. I had pretty tight joints in my dome.

Leave a comment:

• Mdog91
    replied

I would think that it would stay moist at 55f especially since you just sponged it. That being said??..a cup of water wouldn't hurt and may help the peace of mind.

Leave a comment:

• Moose4Life
    replied

Quick question just finished my keystone today! And it's 40 degrees and will be 30 tonight. I have a space heater in the dome covered with a tarp/blanket/tarp. I sponged the joints before closing but I want to keep it moist while keeping it above freezing. The space heater is at its lowest setting which is probably 55' f in the dome. Think I should keep a bucket of water in the dome to keep the moisture up?

Leave a comment:

• herridea
    replied

Thanks. I will go with your advice and cure before covering.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by herridea View Post
    Hi James,
    Should I cure before covering the dome in vermiculite or after?
    I would like to cure after to ensure that I cover the blanket from the elements?
    Thanks
    Dean
    You sure want to cure before, if you cover the dome you will trap the moisture in,my opinion is to use it AFTER curing 10 times for pizza and after cover it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X