X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
    nice dave, good stuff

I just had a thought, wouldn't it be good to have a section for pictures & descriptions of wood from various parts around the world, then people could have a look at pics of wood and match them to woods that would be good & others to stay away from.

there you are FB, my contribution to the forum is on me....lol

Ok people, start us off with some pics of woods (not me,cause i dont have any...yet)
    Great Idea , but i think it should be a sticky with sub threads or something set up like the Regional Forums. It would be easier to research your own area that way. Although, I personally think that most could benifit by being given the advice to search their own area on the web for hardwoods and or fruitwoods.
    Just Say'n.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Here is my contribution.....

Native Tree Images Australia, Rainforest Tree Pictures NSW, QLD, VIC
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

nice Al, your detail in your presentation is second to none, beautiful use of color, & absolute stunning layout, you must have worked long & hard to put this all together, excellent work Al....your in the wrong trade buddy.
        Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Pete I just pinched the link....... its not my site.... sorry.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i know AL.....i was takin the piss outta ya
            Aussie Pete

Comment

i know AL.....i was takin the piss outta ya
              Good.... I feel better now.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I put a lot of work into my sarcasm & you didnt even notice..
                Aussie Pete

Comment

I put a lot of work into my sarcasm & you didnt even notice..
                  You do realise that I am so poor that I cant afford to pay attention?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have bought a cord of seasoned oak, nice stuff, but having a hard time getting it to burn (unless it is a quarter of an inch or less in diameter) at the beginning of the fire, and it seems to burn very slowly even 20 minutes into my fire, when I actually have some coals going..so I am looking into some other type of wood to start the fires with. I have access to some cottonwood, has anyone used that before? Also have access to a little crab apple tree wood. Any suggestions on a good wood to use during the starting process? thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by stmbt_embers View Post
                      I have bought a cord of seasoned oak, nice stuff, but having a hard time getting it to burn (unless it is a quarter of an inch or less in diameter) at the beginning of the fire, and it seems to burn very slowly even 20 minutes into my fire, when I actually have some coals going..so I am looking into some other type of wood to start the fires with. I have access to some cottonwood, has anyone used that before? Also have access to a little crab apple tree wood. Any suggestions on a good wood to use during the starting process? thanks!
                      Cottonwood is some of the worst wood you can get. Has half the BTU value of oak.

If your oak won't burn, it might not really be "seasoned". Suggest you get a moisture meter from Harbor Freight and check the water content. It may need to dry longer.
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

stmbt_embers,
                        Also, you didn't mention whether the wood was cut. Oak is tough to burn in rounds if your fire isn't already very hot. Try chopping it up into small pieces, especially if you are trying to start the fire with it.
                        Another option is to place your wood in the oven and use a propane tank with a "burner wand" attached. Instant fire, but let your oven heat up before cooking. This is a great option if you are having company for dinner and don't want to get sooty or nurture a fire for 2 hours before they arrive.
                        Last edited by Bartondad; 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. The wood I have didn't come split, but I'm in the process of splitting it, and it splits very easily. Yesterday, I did have luck with the fire, started it with a small fire starter, some smaller dry kindling I had behind the house, along with some oak kindling, and was able to build up the fire to burn 2 -3 inch diameter pieces. I have a torch as well to aid in the starting. Much better experience than the previous 2 days! Looking forward to another, hotter fire today, and hopefully my first round of pizzas saturday or sunday.

THanks again

Comment

Don't know if this is proper but I start a small fire using small pieces of Oak with newpaper underneath and as the logs burn into coals I slowly add larger pieces (quartered logs) on top and hit it with an old hair dryer (on low) and blow air on to establish the fire. Once this starts a nice bed of coals going then the fire burns very nicely. Just what works for me.
                            -Jesse in ABQ
                            Jesse & Rhonda - ABQ, NM

Comment

Gudday
                              I have copy/pasted this for you to read . Most folk make a fire like this at the entrance to the oven under the chimney and when it's underway push it into the oven. Regardless of which method if its works its good.
                              regards dave
                              Quote ..I have a very low tech and non accellerant fuel method to start any fire that I build, and I teach the method to all customers that I build masonry heaters and bakeovens for, and anyone that will listen.

We call it the Top down burn, and it is the cleanest burning (as in no clouds of smoke) method to get your appliance's firebox up to speed. Fire start up is typically the dirtiest part of a burn, untill it gets up to speed.

I start by laying the larger diameter pieces of properly dried and stored firewood side by side and parallel to the length of the firebox/oven. Then I add another layer of wood, the pieces smaller in diameter, and perpendicular to and across the top of the first course, sort of log cabin style. Keep the pieces of wood fairly close alongside each other.
                              I continue adding layers of gradually smaller diameter pieces of wood, finishing it off on top with nice dry kindling. I bring home free scrap lumber from job sites and/or collect dry pine cones from my woods. You can even buy a bundle of low grade cedar shingles for pretty cheap at Home Cheapo.
                              I then simply light the top.
                              The fire starts small, and within about 10 minutes, assuming that you are using nice dry and properly dried and stored firewood, there is a fully involved fire going.
                              The theory is that the wood ignites down the stack of wood when they are hot enough and ready to start to out-gassing.
                              Just check out your chimney top with a typical start up with lots of newspaper , kindling or an accellerant. Very smoky! Try the top down burn and you will see virtually nothing but steam coming out the chimney.
                              I have not used newspaper to start any fires (and I have 2 masonry heaters that I use every winter to heat my home and shop, one indoor bakeoven, and one outside pizza oven) in many years, and I have never used an accelerant, just well processed and stored firewood.
                              Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM.
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on burning White Ash, Silver Maple or Mulberry? I have access to acres of these types of woods and wanted the communities opinion on burning them for pizza oven use. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X