X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by thenoyd View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on burning White Ash, Silver Maple or Mulberry? I have access to acres of these types of woods and wanted the communities opinion on burning them for pizza oven use. Thanks
    I am only familiar with mulberry, but a quick google search would suggest that they are all good .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The main problem is to cook these things that to find woods in huge quantity and start a fire for the oven....?
      steel fabrication Townsville

Comment

Originally posted by Calviin_carl View Post
        The main problem is to cook these things that to find woods in huge quantity and start a fire for the oven....?
        A properly built oven uses hardly any firewood.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Finding woods that impart flavor and making selection between them is the 'problem' - ovens are designed to retain heat for long periods so they actually require surprisingly little wood to get them to temperature.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

A properly built oven uses hardly any firewood.
            I hear next year a properly built oven in land of OZ will use no wood

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by TxTanner View Post

Bill
              Ouch!!, That may be true also here in the states if we don't get together before the next election...................................Expect no further comment from me on the subject .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I am getting ready to take down a couple sweet gum trees. Anyone have any experience using sweet gum in their WFO? I didnt see any reference to them in some of the firewood links posted here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua

Comment

Originally posted by fremen325 View Post
                  I am getting ready to take down a couple sweet gum trees. Anyone have any experience using sweet gum in their WFO? I didnt see any reference to them in some of the firewood links posted here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua
                  I hav'nt used it in my oven ...and I won't. What ever is in that wood stanks when you burn it and irritates my sinuses...It won't last to long in the firewood pile, as it gets "punkey". Burn some of it first and see. I personally think they are giant weeds..I can afford to be picky, as the drought of the last few years has left me with 7-8 large,various varieties of oak, standing dead...
                  " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Originally posted by fremen325 View Post
                    Gum is listed as "fair" in this chart.

Firewood BTU Chart - Firewood Guide to BTU Ratings

......and "medium" in this one

http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

Comment

Originally posted by TxTanner View Post

Bill
                      Yeah, all brick ovens will be solar.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                        Yeah, all brick ovens will be solar.

Thats actually not a bad idea, a new project to work on, although it would be no good in Melbourne in winter as there is too much cloud.
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartondad View Post
                          Oak is tough to burn in rounds if your fire isn't already very hot. Try chopping it up into small pieces, especially if you are trying to start the fire with it.
                          Oak is pretty much my only choice of wood. I use the odd bit of hazel, but being an oak framer by trade, means that I have an endless supply of free English oak. I just need to hurry up and get my stove built so that I can start trying it in an oven, rather than just on the BBQ and in the wood burner

Just a couple of my log stacks.

Comment

Really quite impressive....I have seen wood stacks like this before and allways wondered if you ever burn them?
                            " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

thickstrings
                              Re: Choosing and finding wood
                              Really quite impressive....I have seen wood stacks like this before and allways wondered if you ever burn them?
                              Yesterday 01:04 PM
                              Super impressive...and thickstrings question reminds me of a joke.

A farmer is bragging about his talking pig at tha barber shop one day,and finally some old boy says"I think your full a sh*t. Well the old farmer invites him to see for his self,so they head to the farm. As they get out the truck this three legged pig hobbles out to meet them and says "Hey what took you so long to get a hair cut". Astonished the doubting man says"holy hell that pig does talk,that's amazing... but what happened to his back leg?"

Ya don't eat a pig like that all at once.....replied the farmer.

I imagine that would be Eddie's answer as well.

Bill

Comment

Love it.

And yep all of the wood will get used. I just seem to get hold of so much of it, that it always seems a shame not to do something with it.

Art in the garden is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X