X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by EddiePJ View Post
    Love it.

And yep all of the wood will get used. I just seem to get hold of so much of it, that it always seems a shame not to do something with it.

Art in the garden is a bit of a hobby of mine.
    Too much time on your hands, Eddie?

Comment

There are lots of good wood piles on google.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Wow! Coolness!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Has anyone has tried Princes Tree (paulownia)?
          It's a fast growing tree that can be used as a biomass but i don't know if i could burn it as a wood log.

Comment

From the internet ... characteristics "Paulownia is a very good
            insulator. Paulownia log homes are said to have twice the R factor as
            pine or oak logs. This temperature resistance serves to give the wood a
            high fire resistance. Ignition temperature is approximately 400 deg. C.
            which is almost twice many conventional American hard and soft woods."
            There are other mentions that basicly say that while it will burn, it doesn't have a high BTU....Hard to start, but OK to use...
            " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
              From the internet ... characteristics "Paulownia is a very good
              insulator. Paulownia log homes are said to have twice the R factor as
              pine or oak logs. This temperature resistance serves to give the wood a
              high fire resistance. Ignition temperature is approximately 400 deg. C.
              which is almost twice many conventional American hard and soft woods."
              There are other mentions that basicly say that while it will burn, it doesn't have a high BTU....Hard to start, but OK to use...
              Have you seen a btu rating for paulownia?

Comment

hmmm. Everything I read says it is an invasive species, stinks when burnt, and has low BTU content. Sounds like a pass!
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  hmmm. Everything I read says it is an invasive species, stinks when burnt, and has low BTU content. Sounds like a pass!
                  Could you please give me the source that reference those characteristics?

Comment

I burn cherry, mostly because I like the smell of it. And I don't use any type of kindling to get the fire started....I use a Weed-Dragon propane torch (a must-have).

Comment

Originally posted by jeeppiper View Post
                      ...I use a Weed-Dragon propane torch (a must-have).
                      Dry kindling, one match works for me. The only technology that I have added to my oven is an old style wall mounted bottle opener.

Comment

Here ya go Dimitri, [Homestead] Paulownia elongata and another Can You Burn Paulownia? | eHow I have no personal experience with Paulownia.
                        Last edited by thickstrings; 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Here ya go Dimitri, [Homestead] Paulownia elongata and another Can You Burn Paulownia? | eHow I have no personal experience with Paulownia.
                          Thank you!
                          I can't though spot the low BTU and smell anywhere on those articals.
                          Seems the same readings is actually all over the net, I can't seem to find a personal opinion of a person that has actually burned paulownia.
                          Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 10-11-2013, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Spunkoid....I too only use one match. Liquid propane is a beautiful thing!

Comment

Dimitri, After looking on the net a few places, it basicly says, if its real dry, it burns like cedar...not sure of fumes, as I find no mention...but wet wood will smolder and stink. All you can do is try it. ..at least to just come up to heat...switch to the better stuff later.

Comment

Dimitri, After looking on the net a few places, it basicly says, if its real dry, it burns like cedar...not sure of fumes, as I find no mention...but wet wood will smolder and stink. All you can do is try it. ..at least to just come up to heat...switch to the better stuff later.
                                I am planning off planting thouse trees for firewood for heating and wood oven.

Comment

Working...
                                X