This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Choosing and finding wood

They are fast growing softwood trees and more suited to pulp production than anything else. Some of the tree plantation companies are using them. Not what you need to fire your WFO. IMHO
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
      They are fast growing softwood trees and more suited to pulp production than anything else. Some of the tree plantation companies are using them. Not what you need to fire your WFO. IMHO
      Are you talking from experience on you are just guessing?
      They are used on making pellets, i am just asking if someone has actualy burned pawlovia wood, i have seen this PAULOWNIA BURNING - but this is from a fireplace and i have send a pm on the uploader but i guess he doesn't speak English.

Comment

Nothing is really burning in the vid, it must all be wet wood.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Nothing is really burning in the vid, it must all be wet wood.
          Paoulovia can be air dryed in tree months.
          I guess it's just dont burn well.
          Anyway i planted some of them.

Comment

Hello can somebody help me. I have an Italian restaurant in Curacao, Dutch antilles and I buy my wood now in Holland, but is very expensive to ship to the caribbean. Does anybody knows a place in the Miami area where I can buy good wood for the oven.

Comment

Maybe if you had the internet you could have done your own search....?

Firewood - Stuff For Sale in Miami, FL - Claz.org

Sunshine Tree Trimming - Fire Wood Sale
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thank for hour Nice comment. Of course i did but I need a full container load
                Thats why I posted this one

Comment

Hi All, Great Thread!

So like a few others, I'm in southern California (Orange County) where hardwoods aren't exactly plentiful and definitely aren't cheap (if only we could burn palm trees!).

My question to you all is what you think about when a firewood guy offers "Mixed hardwoods". Is that good enough for you or do you keep it to a single species?

Most of my local suppliers offer a mix of something Elm, Sycamore, Apricot, Eucalyptus, Maple, Red Oak, and Ash.

I know Eucalyptus is a scratch but I was curious just in general what you thought about the idea of these mixed bundles. I know it's adding a lot of extra variables but it would be quite a bit cheaper and easier than continuing to try and hunt down Oak.

Thanks

Comment

G'day
                    Will palm trees burn? You better believe it. I live in the sub tropics and every garden it seems has palm trees..... And the dreaded palm fronds. That drop off and have to be disposed off.
                    Palm fronds contain oil so palm frond burn well really well. I get a fire going with hardwood and the domes good and warm fold them into 1/3 rd and push them in. Even 1/2 dry they will burn . But not more than 1 or 2 at once otherwise the flames will be licking out the door and the heat wasted.
                    You have to do a bit of work as they burn away quickly but it supplements my hardwood stocks and clears the yard of fronds.
                    Its my local renewable resource.....
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      G'day
                      Will palm trees burn? You better believe it. I live in the sub tropics and every garden it seems has palm trees..... And the dreaded palm fronds. That drop off and have to be disposed off.
                      Palm fronds contain oil so palm frond burn well really well. I get a fire going with hardwood and the domes good and warm fold them into 1/3 rd and push them in. Even 1/2 dry they will burn . But not more than 1 or 2 at once otherwise the flames will be licking out the door and the heat wasted.
                      You have to do a bit of work as they burn away quickly but it supplements my hardwood stocks and clears the yard of fronds.
                      Its my local renewable resource.....
                      Regards dave

Out of curiosity, could you roll the palm fronds? I do that with magazines and newspaper (what doesn't end up in the cat box, of course) and they burn very well.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

They do tend to make lots of ash though. The best wood is free wood; I love getting wood. Hardwood is preferable to softwood. I've never paid for a stick of wood and on principle prefer to find my own. It is surprising how much there is around. Cutting larger logs into thin slices makes them easier to split and dry faster.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          They do tend to make lots of ash though. The best wood is free wood; I love getting wood. Hardwood is preferable to softwood. I've never paid for a stick of wood and on principle prefer to find my own. It is surprising how much there is around. Cutting larger logs into thin slices makes them easier to split and dry faster.
                          Yeah, you wouldn't believe how much wood people throw away.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                          [/CENTER]

Comment

I haven't seen anyone talk about burning hedge. I know it burns hotter than a lot of wood. Anyone have any thoughts or info

Comment

Originally posted by MD56 View Post
                              Hi All, Great Thread!

I know Eucalyptus is a scratch but I was curious just in general what you thought about the idea of these mixed bundles. I know it's adding a lot of extra variables but it would be quite a bit cheaper and easier than continuing to try and hunt down Oak.

Thanks
                              Eucalyptus is a scratch. What do you mean?
                              What do you reckon most people in Oz use? Are you saying you don't use it?

Edit: a bit of research suggests the eucalypts in California are e. globulus - Tasmanian Blue Gum.
                              In its analysis of potential woodlot species, the relevant government department in South Australia rates them as fair for splitting properties, fair for ease of ignition and good for coaling. So, in all, a reasonable species for firewood plantations, though it does require more rain than some others.
                              Additionally, it coppices well. i.e. you can cut down most of the tree for firewood and it will grow back so you can do it all again next year.
                              Last edited by wotavidone; 06-10-2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjohnson View Post
                                I haven't seen anyone talk about burning hedge. I know it burns hotter than a lot of wood. Anyone have any thoughts or info
                                I've been thinking about that myself, the crp sure does grow fast down here. But, the term "hedge" may mean different species in different areas .
                                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X