X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Choosing and finding wood

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I've been thinking about that myself, the crp sure does grow fast down here. But, the term "hedge" may mean different species in different areas .
    Hedge usually refers to the use, not a particular plant. Here in the Southern US boxwood is the perennial hedge plant. But that's probably not true elsewhere.

Actually, if you just mean the bushy stuff found in hedges, we'd call that 'scrub'. And yes, it burns really well - and really fast. It's basically burning branches with a lot of smaller branches.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

When I was in Boy Scouts, for firewood to take on camporees, we used to get tons of oak scraps from a local Broyhill chair factory. So when I started looking for wood sources for my oven, I first thought of looking for an "industrial" source for my hardwood. Sources I considered:
      1. Sawmills, for the slabs they cut off logs to make them square
      2. Pallet makers, they often have there own sawmills, or at least have tons of scrap wood
      3. Pallet remanufactures, they take old pallets, and rework them to make they good as new, they have tons of scrap hardwood

I found and now use hickory scraps from a tool handle factory in our town. The wood is clean, kiln dried, and has no chemicals on it. Best part is that it is $8/pallet.

Comment

Here is a wood related Quesiton... I've just read (in the "complete kiwi pizza oven" book) that driftwood shouldn't be used for fuel in a pizza oven due to the salt content. seems strange to me but does anyone else have any comment on that?

Comment

Any Ideas on where to buy wood near Montclair, NJ ?

Comment

• Originally posted by ELGLTD View Post
            Re: Choosing and finding wood

Any Ideas on where to buy wood near Montclair, NJ ?

try here, theyre in Hillsborough.
            http://www.jerseyfirewood.com/about-...oned-firewood/

Comment

• Back onboard after a break. New 33T log splitter to tackle S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y hard Aussie wood. Nothing can stop this beast. Pics to follow....
              / Rossco

Comment

• Him
                I have more than 400 Greek olive trees for extra vergin olive oil,so i have plenty source of this wood every year.
                Can i use it in my wood oven?

Comment

• I had a large willow come down on my property - has anyone burned willow? What about Eucalyptus?

Comment

• I've used willow. It's supposed to be one of the worst woods for burning. On the other hand I had to remove several and had a pile of the stuff for free. It needs to dry for a long time to be any use but then will work just fine. I found it burns through pretty quickly, in fact most of my willow is gone and I'm on to some old oak which is far better - oven heats more quickly and with less fuel. But use it. It's free.

Comment

• Question for you all about fruit tree wood. (even though i'm not finished my oven yet )
                      My father can get me some cutoffs from apple trees, but was told that the trees were sprayed with some kind of pesticide. Is burning wood that has been spayed an issue in a WFO (in regards to toxins)?

Thanks, David
                      David in Calgary
                      My Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                      X