What kind of wood do i use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of wood do i use?

Hello everyone, I am new to this whole wood-fired oven thing. We are in the process of building a new home and I am looking into a built-in wood fired pizza oven in my kitchen...the hubby isn't really sold on the idea, but I love making pizza's and I figured "Why not"? He brought up the question as to what kind of wood we would use in it??? I figured Oak would be best, but we are going to be up in Montana and I don't think there is alot of Oak available up there...any ideas? And does anyone have a built in oven in their kitchen, all the one's I see are outdoors. Thanks for any help.
    Lynn

Re: What kind of wood do i use?

All wood has the same BUT output per pound.

Buy the cheapest (by weight) local wood available that is also easy to split.

These ovens are not fussy.

Comment

The best wood is free wood.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yes, people do build ovens indoors. When I'm feeling less lazy. I'll hunt down a link for you...

Okay, I'm less lazy... Cooking Rumford

As to wood, generally folks use the kind that burns. Some folks skip pressure treated because of the fear of contamination - which seems reasonable enough. Other than that, it's pretty much whatever works. Most discussions of wood types center on flavor imparted and not so much on relative BTU output. Unless you're building a commercial oven the increased cost for higher BTU probably won't be cost effective.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

This should help...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...-wood-908.html

Rossco
          / Rossco

Comment

I use mostly hardwoods just because they last longer and you use less wood. Woods with lots of tar like cedar or pine burn furiously but leave a lot of residue. The key is aging which I did not understand until I got into this. The best thing you can do I get two cords or wood, one for this year and one to sit, age and dry for next year. Real hardwoods like oak take a long time to really dry out and split always catches fast than rounds.

Comment

Oooh! Oooh! Look what I found!

Permaculture Reflections: Top 10 Fuel Trees for Zone 5 and Above
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X