Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door Construction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lburou
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    Originally posted by fxpose View Post
    I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.

    Thanks I enjoyed reading every post in your build....

    Leave a comment:


  • fxpose
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking.
    I frequently use my inner door placed in the outer position (positioned so as to allow fresh air in from one side) during start up or during between pizzas as a wind block.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lburou
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    Originally posted by Grimaldi View Post
    Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

    I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

    Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).
    Originally posted by fxpose View Post
    I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.

    I like the idea of an inner and outer door. I have a predominant wind that would be negated by the outer door, and want an inner door for post pizza baking.

    Leave a comment:


  • RTflorida
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    I built 2 doors, my 1st being a 1/4" boiler plate steel door with handles and "legs" to prop it in place; all painted black with high temp paint. I currently only use this door as a wind break. VERY heavy, I've actually chipped (minor) a few bricks putting it in place.

    My second door is the aluminum/perlite sandwich you are proposing, 2 1/4" inches thick.
    Works really well, I just wish I had saved the few scraps of ceramic blanket I had left over. The blanket or board from under the hearth are twice as efficient as using perlite or vermiculite. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

    RT

    Leave a comment:


  • fxpose
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    Originally posted by Grimaldi View Post
    Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with?
    I'm pleased with my light weight door. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to build another I'd build it pretty much the same way.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grimaldi
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    Any pictures of inner insulated doors that people are pleased with? I had a temporary thick wooden plank as an inner door, but that turned into a perfect arch of ash on the oven floor;]

    I'm pleased with my diamond plate outer door...after I get the fire lit, I put the door over the opening and the fires roars with no smoke out the front.

    Below is a pic of my long gone inner door and my outer door (also, now have a stainless deck instead of firebrick sticking out the front).

    Leave a comment:


  • fxpose
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    My 2" thick aluminum 'box' door is packed with leftover bits and pieces of blanket insulation and only weighs like 4 lbs including a single wooden handle and a dial thermometer.
    I can hold the door in one hand while handling food with the other....very practical.

    I wouldn't change anything if I had to do it again.
    Last edited by fxpose; 12-27-2010, 02:29 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Neil2
    replied
    Re: Door Construction

    "sandwiched aluminum construction "

    This works well. You want to keep the weight down if you can, maneuvering a heavy door in and out can be a pain. For the insulation, consider using the 1/2 inch thick type of insulation that is used in electric ranges or even any leftover blanket insulation material from the build. If you have a local recycler yard (dump) you can sometimes score the range insulation material for nothing.
    Last edited by Neil2; 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • C5dad
    started a topic Door Construction

    Door Construction

    I am mulling the door build right now and am wondering what everyone has made doors of. My thought was a sandwiched aluminum construction using 0.1 inch thickness aluminum panel with pearlcrete interior.

    If those who have built doors, what would you have done differently?

    Thanks in advance for the advise - and your learning experiences you are willing to share.

    Chris
Working...
X