Oven temp profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven temp profile

I am wondering how my oven performs relative to others in terms of retained heat. Has anyone done a temperature profile of their oven with time? One data point I am interested in is your oven temp 12 hrs after the oven has been fully heat saturated, coals out and door on. The best I can hope for is 300F

What started me wondering was a statement Jay made where he said he usually bakes his bread the next morning after fully saturating his oven. Maybe I mis-understood, but there is no way I will be at 500F the next morning. Jay please explain and maybe talk a little about oven temperature profiles.

Would appreciate all the input I can get on at least this one data point. My oven is an out lier because it is made with red clay fire-brick. Someone also suggested that the red clay fire-brick was the major difference. Have seen a few people ask about using red clay fire-brick as an alternative so it seems relevant to those considering it. There are lots of factors affecting this, door config, etc but I think its worth a thought. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Re: Oven temp profile

I think the biggest factor will be insulation causing temps all over the board. Mine has none, and the temp would be too low for baking the next day.
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Before I make any wild statements I will check my oven the next time I bake( Hopefully this weekend) I do know that 3 days later in below 0 temps my oven was still to warm to touch. I will take some readings and let you know.

Comment

I posted this sometime back. Hope it helps.

Les...

I wanted to document my temps, when I get asked, I never remember all the numbers.

Saturday at 6:30 PM after the fire; hearth=900 deg.
        Saturday at 8:00 PM after pizzas; hearth=555 deg.
        Sunday at 9:00 AM hearth=447 deg. - cooked a coffee cake
        Sunday at 4:30 PM hearth=374 deg. - cooked coconut shrimp
        Monday at 6:30 AM hearth=288 deg.
        Monday at 4:45 PM hearth=244 deg.
        Tuesday at 4:45 PM hearth=170 deg.

As you can tell, we didn't do much cooking, but the oven appears to be retaining heat fairly well (I think).
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi lwood!

Either I miswrote or you misinterpreted what I meant! My oven is no where near that heat tight! My oven has a four inch slab above insulation that goes straight out to the support stands and loses hearth heat to the world. The hearth is based on the Scott design.

I like to bake bread the morning after pizza but I have to build a new fire and recharge the oven... I like doing it after pizza for it is already "warm" and it recharges faster.

I typicall burn for about an hour after oven clearing. I close the oven for about fifteen minutes to kill the fire and then clear and sweep the oven. Temp at that point will be about 650 to 700 on the hearth. I close the door and let the oven heat soak for an hour or so. That allows the heat to even out through the refractory. Around an hour to an hour and a half after clearing the hearth will be around 565 or so. That is when I spray/load the bread/spray/bake. The temp when I remove the bread will be aroung 450 and if I close the oven up it will bounce back up to about 475 to 480 depending on how well it was heat loaded. I usually then do something like a roast in cast iron.

WhenI do pizza I run the hearth at about 750. Say I finish and close it up at 9 pm. At 8 am the next morning the temp in my oven will be around 375 - perfect for a slow roast/braise. At 6 pm I will be about 240. Next morning around 170 - all dependent on ambient temperatures also. Les is about a day slower than me at that point.

Hope that helps.
          Jay

Comment

Mine runs about 900 after fire.
            700 after a full run of 8 or 10 pizzas (with a side fire).
            550 in 24 hours.
            350 in 48 hours
            150 in 72 hours.
            ambient in 96-120 hours.

Comment

Those numbers are great, thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Tscar, those numbers are impressive.

Comment

I have more than 32 cubic feet of loose perlite around the oven, thermal breaks at the entry and the entry/chimney area is all insulated with perlcrete/loose perlite, plus I have an insulating castable/perlcrete door.

Comment

You did a great job on your oven construction TS! Good thermal efficiency which is why I keep pushing people to the Pompeii design practices. I WISH I had a thermal break around my hearth slab. Having the insulation on the bottom is not IMO a big deal so much as losing heat out the sides.! But...the Pompeii plans work and that is great! (You do have a Pompeii don't you????
                    Jay

PS: You too Les!
                    J

Comment

Nope, but the FB plans are by far the most superior design and instructions available.

Comment

I have said it before, but it worth repeating. I built an oven because I wanted to build a Timbrel arch: Guastavino tile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and an oven seemed to be the most practical thing for me to build incorporating the Timbrel arch construction.

It so happened that doing research I came across this site, and used the specifications for the insulation on my oven. I advise everyone who asks (and they do, almost daily) that the FB plans are the optimal for their oven, and if they want to have an oven without building it themselves that the FB products are the best value by far.

Comment

We all now know what is possible. There is always our next oven Jay...

Comment

My oven is a 42 inch Pompeii built this past summer and fall to the insulation specifications in the FB plans. The cavity around the oven is filled with perlite, with about 18 inches over the top. My metal door is insulated with 2 inches of ceramic board (left over from the board used to insulate the hearth) and 2 inches of loose fiberglass batting. At ambient air temperatures of plus or minus zero F, my oven is producing a hearth temperature in the 500? to high 600's range, approximately 14 to 18 hours after closing the door after baking pizzas. I'm finding that the temps in the 600? plus range are achieved when I bring the oven back up to 1,000? plus after baking pizza. So, white ash, followed by a couple of hours baking pizzas when the hearth temp drops to 600? or so, then refiring to 1,000? and letting it burn down for a half hour or so before closing it up, seems to produce the saturation required to produce at least two following days of useable baking, roasting and slow cooking temperatures.

I'm keeping data on my firings over three days in order to get the feel for my oven's performance. But, so far, I'm really pleased. Thanks to FB for the plans. They worked for me.

Comment

Hi Davmorr,

I'm new to this forum and am about halfway through my oven construction so please excuse my silly question.... Do you remove the burning coals before you seal the oven or do you just leave them in there?

Kind Regards,
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X