Fuels other than wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuels other than wood

The city I live in in British Columbia Canada does not allow open burning of wood. This is due to the climate and forest fire hasards in my area. The wood burning pizza oven falls under this.
    I have read many threads on other fuels and have become very confussed.
    Is the another option to wood? I have natural gas on my barbeque can that be used and if so where do I find a burner that is cerfified.

Re: Fuels other than wood

You should obtain advice from a qualified gas-fitter. The burner will need to be fitted with a flame failure device. Many restaurants that have wood fired ovens opt for a gas burner and throw in some wood for extra heat and "authentic effect"
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks I have talked to a gas fitter and the cost is very high. I actually have the fire dept trying to help. Which I am sure will cost me some pizzas.
      I was hoping someone had some experience to pass along.

Comment

How about coal?

Comment

A good idea. Does it cause any flavor issues?

Comment

Does it cause any flavor issues?

Coal ? Makes it tastier.

Comment

The city I live in in British Columbia Canada does not allow open burning of wood.
              If you made a door for the front of your oven that provided fresh air draft through the bottom edge and prevented any combustion products from exiting other than through the vent and flue, would that still be considered "open burning of wood"? The fire would be completely contained and, with a spark arrestor at the top of the flue, there would be no danger of starting a fire outside of the oven.

There are examples of such doors in several of the build threads on the forum.

Comment

"The city I live in in British Columbia Canada does not allow open burning of wood."

Have you talked with your local bylaw people ? I think you will find that WFO's are not considered "open burning" in most municipalities in BC.

You will probably need a door of some sort and spark screening at the top your flue. In some municipalities you will not be allowed to have it "unattended" during firing.
                Last edited by Neil2; 04-01-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

A good idea. Does it cause any flavor issues?
                  No. There are a number of threads here that deal with coal. As I understand it, at one point the majority of New York City pizzerias ran coal-fired ovens and there are still some that run coal today.

Here's a video illustrating how coal-fired ovens are fired:

YouTube - Lighting The Coal Oven

Comment

You can use gas fitter or coal. I think,this will not make any taste change & no issue in flavors.

Comment

Working...
                    X