Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealing stucco

Hello All,

My oven is finished. I need to seal the outside of the colored stucco. I have used a stucco sealer from HD, but I feel it's not my best option. I do believe some moisture is getting through. It rains almost every day here in florida and need to make sure I have it well sealed. Would love your suggestions regarding this.

Thank you kindly

Kurtis

Re: sealing stucco

Traditionally Italian ovens were out in the weather and not waterproofed, but finished with a high lime content stucco. This keeps out most of the water and allows moisture inside the oven to migrate to the outside. If you waterproof the outer shell you also lock in moisture. I think if you want to waterproof the outer shell use an acrylic product with high elasticity.Even with the outside totally sealed the oven will still get wet because the refractory is quite porous and will pick up moisture from the humidity during rainy spells, plus driving rain will get into the entry and often some water will find its way in around the flue pipe or through tiny cracks where the bottom of the outer dome meets the supporting slab.Another alternative is to have a rainproof cover, but this also keeps moisture in. A few decent fires and the oven is up to speed again, you can over worry this problem.
    Last edited by david s; 08-12-2012, 06:30 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Build a covering structure or tarp it when not in use. Stucco cracks, period, and in a rainy environment even a high lime stucco can not keep up with the moisture that enters.

Comment

It is very difficult to make stucco completely "waterproof". It is not a roofing material. Having said that, you could try an acrylic type clear stucco. This has some flex and will put up with some minor cracking.

As Tscarborough noted, you will need a covering structure or use a tarp during the rainy season. Florida is not Italy.

Comment

Working...
        X