Making charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making charcoal

Seems to me that a dome oven after cooking would be a great environment to make lump charcoal. Has anyone tried this? I know we all end up with some charcoal after we are finished cooking, but what about filling up the oven with smaller pieces of wood and let it smolder? I am sure it would be much healthier than the chemical infused chunks you buy. Ideas? Wanting a Lodge Hibachi for grilling, but don't want to use commercial charcoal.

Re: Making charcoal

I get a half of a 5 gallon bucket every time I fire the oven just by dooring it off. You could throw some fresh logs on the fire and let them catch then door it off at the end of the night.

Comment

I've made an oven full of charcoal by getting a roaring fire going and loading the oven, letting everything burn for about 20 or 30 minutes, then close the door, pushing bricks again the door to seal it. I waited three day before removing bags and bags of charcoal. Opening the door to early will regenerate the fire. The next time you fire the oven, heat hot enough to clear oven of all the carbon coating.

Comment

I get more than i can use in the BBQ just by having regular firings, closing the door at the end of a night of cooking. In the morning I rake out the coals and put them in an air tight bin, After 3 days in there I run the batch through a screen to get rid of the ash and real small pieces and then transfer to another air tight metal bin.

You cannot be to careful with charcoal and embers.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Thanks guys, thats kinda what I was thinking. Seemed like I was throwing a lot of good charcoal away after every use and it got me to thinking. So I am guessing the charcoal works great?

Comment

All the ash and charcoal is excellent for the garden too...black gold

Terra preta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Made my first trail run and it worked fantastic. Used a torch to get it started instead of nasty chemicals and it caught quick and burned plenty long enough to do the trick. Many complements on the burgers. There was a little wood around the edge of the charcoal and it helped to catch and then glowed red hot.

Comment

Working...
              X