Thanksgiving turkey question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanksgiving turkey question

Is it just me, or does 500 degrees seem higher than needed for a turkey? Most recipes I have seen call for 325-350 degree ovens. You want the bird to be about 175-ish internal temp. Why 500 degrees?
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hey Deejay, my point exactly. Water boils at 212F, and if you blast your turkey at 500 (or even 325-350 like most instructions), the breast has a good chance to be dry on a large bird because the window of time is so small between perfect and jerky. If you slow cook, there is no need to brine, baste, or inject liquids. It is nearly impossible to screw it up, unless you don't allow enough time for it to finish.

The opposite extreme is seared steak, where I like to see 1100 degrees for as little as 70 seconds per side!

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
        Is it just me, or does 500 degrees seem higher than needed for a turkey? Most recipes I have seen call for 325-350 degree ovens. You want the bird to be about 175-ish internal temp. Why 500 degrees?
        We had this discussion 1 or 2 years ago, 500 deg. came from somewhere. You would think that it is WAY too hot but it isn't - the bird came out pretty good (always room for improvement). As mentioned in the other thread, I am shooting for 450 this year - stay tuned. In regard to internal temp, I want 160 to 165 in the breast. I know the meat police say it should be higher but I haven't poisoned myself yet
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Interesting. I found this thread, which talks about using high heat for a butterflied bird http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...urkey-335.html (similar to the Zuni Cafe chicken recipe that Gulf was going to try) - but I am surprised it works with a whole bird. I guess will probably up my temp range. Are you cooking with stuffing?
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            Are you cooking with stuffing?
            No stuffing. I find it kinda gross with all the cavity goo on it. When we do want dressing, my wife cooks it separately in the kitchen oven.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My "trendy" wood-fired oven cookbook has a recipe where you fire the oven up to roasting temp the day of, keep a fire going, and slip the turkey in. I have tried it a few times and loved it. Comes out really brown, has a smokey flavor, and is very juicy. Problem is it requires you to turn the turkey around every half hour or so. You have to pay attention. And do work. Not my favorite things on holidays. But it is delicious!
              This year I am fireing up the night before, leaving the door ajar so I can cook the pies in the a.m. at around 425. Then I will light a small fire and cook the turkey. We'll see.
              Happy Thanksgiving.

dusty

Comment

Working...
              X