Hearth Floor Too Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth Floor Too Hot

Looking for some advice. After I pull the coals to one side, the hearth floor is way too hot. I know that I can cool it down by putting a couple of rounds of dough on it. As it is a waste of good dough, I always cringe when I have to do this. I know that I could pull the coals off earlier and let the floor cool naturally. However, I am always pressed for time. Does anyone have any tricks that do not involve the use of dough to cool down the hearth floor? Is there some type of material that I could put down that would absorb a bunch of heat quickly? I know I am likely dreaming here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Hearth Floor Too Hot

You must learn, "Time Management"! Whatever else you do, is temporary. Once you close the door, in a few minute the oven's going to re-boot back to it saturated state. If its insulated, its doing what it suppose to do.

Comment

You can alway use your indoor oven, when you're pressed.

Comment

Spray some water on it, not a lot, just a couple squirts from a spray bottle.

Comment

Hey Tscar,

He said, way too hot!!

Comment

Originally posted by tusr18a View Post
            Does anyone have any tricks that do not involve the use of dough to cool down the hearth floor?
            If dough is doing the trick for you why not put in a few pans of cold water. That should bleed some heat away in that area for a time...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I always place the first pizza about halfway in the door where the floor is a bit cooler. Turn more frequently. Then for each subsequent pizza just push it in a little bit further
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I was assuming that he was cooking bread rather than pizza, it that case a little misting and pizza placement can do the trick, especially if he's good in the usage of his peel.

Comment

Doctor, doctor, ...., it's hurts when I do this.

Then don't do that.

Comment

A damp mop could work for a quick cool down also.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

cast iron pan with cold water in it
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I'm with Chip, a damp mop or a damp towel wiped over the surface. I'll sometimes wrap a damp towel over the end of a fire tending tool and then wipe the floor.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                          I'm with Chip, a damp mop or a damp towel wiped over the surface. I'll sometimes wrap a damp towel over the end of a fire tending tool and then wipe the floor.

Chris
                          This works for me too. Sometimes I'll go over the hearth 6-8 times to cool the surface down as much as 100f.

~Aaron

Comment

Time management and patience is best. I always have an old dough ball from the last time that is the sacraficed pie. Besides how much does your dough ball really costing you? One made with 00 caputo verses bread flour is still not relevant when you look at how much you have into your oven. Finding your rythum is key if you want a excellnet pie.

Comment

It is not the cost, it is more the supply. Due to refrigeration limitations, we can only produce so much dough at once. Each piece of dough that is sacrificed to the oven gods is one less pie to sell. Taking advice that I received in this thread, I pulled the fire to the side of the hearth about 30 minutes before the event. When I put down the first pizza, I did not burn it. The hearth had cooled enough to allow for a perfect bake. Before, I was pushing the fire to the side only minutes before I started a baking cycle. Thanks to all that help further my education!

Comment

Working...
                              X