Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about oven floor insulation

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
    I have a 9.6 inch opening, I would not want it to be any lower than that, but 10 inches should be fine.
    It always comes done to size!!!
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

It's a pretty huge turkey that's 10" high.
      Take a tape measure to your supermarket.

It's a male thing. Usually the size of the member is inversely proptional to the cubic capacity of the (oven) or motor of the car you drive.
      Last edited by david s; 03-20-2013, 04:34 AM. Reason: Home brewed cider
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I decided to pull the floor brick out and I'm thinking of putting in a 2 inch layer of vermiculite mix. Something is better than nothing by hay would bring my interior dome height to 15 inches. I saw bags of vermiculite and perlite at Home Depot. Is that the right stuff to use? I'm also going to try and remove the top layer of clay brick and add at least a 4-6 inch layer of the mix.

Comment

I agree with others that this seems fixable. Do what Wotavidone recommends for the floor.

I would not recommend using splits on the floor. Use the firebrick you already have. Splits won't hold heat and if you don't want an oven that holds heat, there's really no sense adding insulation.

Also, I'd remove the red brick from the dome and insulate as others have suggested.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            I agree with others that this seems fixable. Do what Wotavidone recommends for the floor.

I would not recommend using splits on the floor. Use the firebrick you already have. Splits won't hold heat and if you don't want an oven that holds heat, there's really no sense adding insulation.

Also, I'd remove the red brick from the dome and insulate as others have suggested.
            That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm about to start pulling the layer if red brick off right now

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              It's a male thing. Usually the size of the member is inversely proptional to the cubic capacity of the (oven) or motor of the car you drive.
              I have a small 30 inch oven and a small 2 litre engine in my car. I regret to advise the inverse proportions thing seems to have passed me by somewhaat.

Comment

Working...
              X