Refiring to Pizza temp after roasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refiring to Pizza temp after roasting

Hey guys i need your experience on this. Next Sunday we are going to celebrate the Batptism of my younger daughter with a wfo party for 50.
    I am going to cook 20-30 10inch pizzas and some 30 lbs of pork shoulder. My timeline is this (from last to first event) :

19:30 party starts - oven must be ready for first pizza
    18:30 pork is ready
    15:00 pork shoulder goes in for roasting : temp around 400 f
    14:30 back from church
    13:00 church
    10:00 wfo fire up

Does anybody see a problem with reheating the oven from 400f at 18:30 to pizza temp at 19:30?
    Will it turn black again when i light the fire? I want to avoid the creosote smell that preceeds the pizza temps when the guest are here.

Re: Refiring to Pizza temp after roasting

Depends on your oven. If it is a Pompeii or normal Italian style oven you should be able to go from ambient to pizza temps in less than an hour. (if you have a barrel vault or weird oven you are on your own) You have an hour so...take the pork out and fire it as normal and you should be ready to go by 6 pm. Don't play games and try to wait. Firing early and letting coals sit in the oven and burn until you are ready to clear the hearth and set up the oven for pizza (about 19:15 to 19:20) will not hurt anything (and a better charged oven bakes pies better anyway.

I have more concern about how you fire the oven for the pork and the cooking time. I would personally go longer and put it in as soon as you are home from church. And if you decide it is overcooking somehow you can always pull it early.

Good luck!
    Jay

Comment

I got a pompei type oven (with a slightly lower vault) so it heats up really fast.
      You suggest to put the pork in after church but i am worried that from 12:00 to 14:00 even if i leave the door off the temp will be too high. What are your thoughts on firing the night before and putting the pork in the morning when the temp will certainly be below 300?

p.s. Normally if i fire the oven at 17:00 at 18:45 i am ready for pizza and if i close the door at 21:00 than next morning at 09:00 i have 300 f.

Comment

Is your oven insulated? If so, I would fire it up the day before(around noon), to about 180C degrees, remove coals and ash, close door, around 7:00pm place your foil wrapped pork in and cook over night, in the morning its ready. an hour and a half before the party starts fire up the oven for pizza and you're good to go, all day long. Hope you have a wonderful time, wished I was there!
        Last edited by Laurentius; 06-10-2013, 02:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Laurentius, thank you for your answer. Can i light the oven up to 180 and put food inside? I was always under the impression that i need to fire until it turns white which means 800 f. The oven is well insulated.

Comment

No, you don't need to fully saturate your every time you use it. If you think in term of cooking in a Crock Pot, its a well insulated vessel, set at the minimal temperature need to fully cook something over a long period of time, your oven can be used the same way. Some of us use one firing over a period of days cooking different dishes. When you fire it up for pizza, heat the oven until it clears, your goal is to finish your pizza in under 2 minute. Remember, your oven is not one dimensional, its a very versatile tool and you control it.
            Last edited by Laurentius; 06-10-2013, 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That is good to know! I was under the impression that for some reason when you fire it you have to go all the way to white (i thought it had to do with the creosote on the walls).

Comment

Originally posted by giol View Post
                I was under the impression that for some reason when you fire it you have to go all the way to white
                It's my oven, and I'll fire if I want to
                Fire if I want to, fire if I want to
                You would fire too if it happened to you......

With respsct to, Lesley Gore
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

if you want to raise the crackling on the pork, you'll need to go higher than 180 C
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Maybe 250 C with some coals and let the door off until the temp is drops to 180 C?

Comment

Gudday
                      put the pork back in when its at pizza temps ....that will raise the crackling!
                      Regrds Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                        Gudday
                        put the pork back in when its at pizza temps ....that will raise the crackling!
                        Regrds Dave
                        No Dave that doesn't work, at least it never does for me. You need to raise the crackling first. If it doesn't rise and you cook it, then you can't raise it later.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gudday
                          Bugger thought that would work read it somewere in the forum....but interested in the crackling thing. Going to consult the best expert I know ...the bloke who runs the sandwich shop near were I work. Makes a mean cracking to go with the roast pork sangers. I suspect it might involve the use of the deap FAT FRYER
                          Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

[QUOTE=giol;154824]Maybe 250 C with some coals and let the door off until the temp is drops to 180 C?[/QUOTE

250C is too high for over night cooking and you still wouldn't get a crackled skin with it wrapped in foil.

Comment

Hi Giol, I'm keen to hear how this party went! any reports on how you managed the oven?

I was getting very hungry and my mouth is watering whilst reading this! Need to go and find some crackling!!!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X