Using Oven in the Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Oven in the Rain

Is there any downside to using a pizza oven during a rain? The cooking area is under cover and seems to me like there wouldn't be a problem if the oven was fired while it was raining as long as it is cured. The outside of the oven gets warm to the touch when burning but doesn't seem that high- will have to measure the outside temp. next time it's fired.

We've had a really wet summer and get a lot of showers coming through the area that aren't forecasted so likely I would at least get caught in a shower or two while the oven is hot.

Re: Using Oven in the Rain

For what it is worth I don't see what harm can be done to the oven provided you have a cowl on the chimney. The biggest issue I can see is keeping the cook dry and keeping the rain from the food when it is not in the oven.
    Rain on the outside of the oven when it is fired up should not be an issue in my opinion.
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

My biggest issue is going to and from the oven in the rain, and due to the unusual shape of my roof part of my prep panel gets wet, but other than that I have cooked in the rain many times.
      Chip

Comment

I have a patio table umbrella opened up right in front of the oven door at all times. On sunny days, it keeps the sun burn away. On rainy days, it keeps me dry. As long as the fire brick is not absorbing water, all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          My biggest issue is going to and from the oven in the rain, and due to the unusual shape of my roof part of my prep panel gets wet, but other than that I have cooked in the rain many times.
          Exact same for me. I have used my oven year round rain, snow, ice, and sunshine. Few weeks go I put in a batch of bread and the sky opened up. Talking hard downpour and the wind picked up. I kept looking at my timer hoping the deluge would stop when the bread was done...NOPE.

I ended up putting my bread on the cooling rack and shoved the whole thing under the oven and using my portable table as a door/ block to keep the bread dry. These are the bakes that make memories. Like baking with snow tornadoes. Ain't life grand...:-)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, didn't think it was an issue for the oven. Don't have a long trip to the oven but may have to be creative like Faith! I think I have the cooking area covered well but when the winds pick up, the bets are off.

Comment

Working...
            X