• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: insulated oven door

G'day
    I thinned mine down to 2 ins thick and with the ply and hardwood face its about 11.5 kg from memory.
    I don't really care that it weighs so much cause its always got cool handles. They are prone to cracking but still work that's what happened to my first. I only replaced it because I made a few more for other folk.
    One of those got a big piece broken out and was re fixed with some silastic worked like a charm.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• kstronach
    replied

well . . . 15kg wasn't a bad guess it turns out, just got the scales 15.4kg exact weight!

Leave a comment:

• kstronach
    replied

cheers dave, good idea with the probe, i've already caught it once or twice sliding it in and out!

Originally posted by jeeppiper View Post
    Door looks good! How heavy is it? I never got around to making an insulated door; I just have a piece of thin sheet steel. I don't think I have ever completed a project 100%. I always get to 99% complete and call it quits. Maybe your door will motivate me.
    haha, 99%! sounds alot like me! not sure on the exact weight, i would guess it could be getting on for 15kg?? i'll try and weigh it sometime! its fairly heavy anyway but just about manageable for me! if weight was an issue the block could be cut in half lengthways down to 2" that would pretty much half the weight! cheap and easy to make and replace sold it for me!

Leave a comment:

• jeeppiper
    replied

Door looks good! How heavy is it? I never got around to making an insulated door; I just have a piece of thin sheet steel. I don't think I have ever completed a project 100%. I always get to 99% complete and call it quits. Maybe your door will motivate me.

Leave a comment:

• fornax hominus
    replied

Originally posted by kstronach View Post
    finally got round to building an insulated door i used thermolight block (aerated concrete) cut to size to push up to the reveal and a piece of ply cut to size glued and screwed to the front, handles on and a flue thermometer in and away she goes!

took about an hour to make and it seems pretty effective, cooked a roast chicken and potatoes last weekend and it performed brilliantly, a bit of a beast weight wise but manageable.

the only finishing touch i'm going to add is some 20mm stove rope tacked round the edge of the block to give an airtight seal when pushed into place.

what you all think?
    looks good , wish I had used ply instead of T&G which is not weathering well ..also the stove gasket rope on my stove was gnawed off by field mice to make fireproof nests!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    You don't need the rope for a seal. Cut a revel in the door itself so it protrudes into the oven mouth . A bit of fine tuning with a rasp will see the two faces match up perfectly.
    I leave the prob in the door free and not bolted in . Just remove and put on the top of the oven when removing the door. No chance of bending the probe by accident. Plus is, the gauge can be put away out of the elements when not in use.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• kstronach
    started a topic insulated oven door

insulated oven door

finally got round to building an insulated door i used thermolight block (aerated concrete) cut to size to push up to the reveal and a piece of ply cut to size glued and screwed to the front, handles on and a flue thermometer in and away she goes!

took about an hour to make and it seems pretty effective, cooked a roast chicken and potatoes last weekend and it performed brilliantly, a bit of a beast weight wise but manageable.

the only finishing touch i'm going to add is some 20mm stove rope tacked round the edge of the block to give an airtight seal when pushed into place.

what you all think?
Working...
X