Fire Shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Shields

Do any of you use a fire shield when roasting?

I keep the fire going a lot but don't always want that direct heat on the meat, etc.

Yesterday, I used the firebrick cuts I had left over to put a wall between the fire coals and the piglet.

I had only one of the full size thin firebricks left over but with only three or 4 of these I could have put up a nice shield. don't know why I never thought of it before!

X
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Fire Shields

X,
    First, love your posts.
    I am using a shallow "log box" made of 3" x 1/8" steel that is straight in front and sides and contours to the curve of the dome in back. It can receive a solid shield or screen in the front. Has been working out great. Also good for quickly moving the entire fire, logs and all coals (has thin steel bottom) to any area where I need a quick recharge of the floor. Holler if you want the plans posted, very simple to make (need access to welder) and inexpensive, although not as inexpensive as leftover bricks - but this does have other benefits.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Good call. I'd like to see some specs on the idea.

CJ
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Yes, please post a picture with or without the fire. Or drawings!

That sounds like a great idea....portable fire....no ash to sweep (or get on my crust) might want wheels on mine

XJ

My best friend here is a welder too! (never did make the tools I wanted though....ply more brandy I guess)

Comment

Agree.
          But three "Jims" in a row. Not bad eh?
          Maybe James will squeeze a post in before this one.
          I've been using a sheet of s. steel resting against the wall above the coals. OK but clumsy: an 'L' section would be better.
          It just never ends, I guess.
          BTW, congratulations CJ, and permit me to second your nomination of XJ.
          J.

Comment

Anybody got a picture of your shield? I think I'm picturing it right, but a thousand words would help!
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I will get to the drawings done tonight and post a video this weekend of its use of screen and relocating a fire.
              Jim

Comment

Thanks, I'm thinking this may be a cool innovation.

Comment

Here are the drawings for the fire tray portion of what we were discussing. It takes its name from my daughter-in-law who was the first to ask how one kept the ash and flying embers off the pizza. Her tone seemed to suggest little appreciation for tradition or the flavor and nutritional value derived from ash. At the risk of being labled a heretic I have to admit to sharing her views. My first pizza was so covered with flying embers it looked intentional (wood isn't as seasoned as I would like). I also was looking for an easy way to move the fire around the oven and when needed to remove the coals without wasting them. So I created the "Jenny". But this post was originally about a sheild. It attaches to the tray - - I will post those drawings tomorrow as well as a video of Jenny in action. It is above 60 today and I am heading out to finish my vent and chimney (cut down the earlier version a couple months ago because of draw issues). The sheild hooks into the corner tubes you will see in the drawing. They also accomodate a "log lift" and a grill attachment.

Jim

Comment

Nice illustrations JCG. Cool idea.

I'm not having big problems with ash and embers on pizzas, but the occasional rolling log off fire will make me shout a few profanities.
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Cool, now I want to see it in action. do you have any temperature readings before/after type of stuff?

It appears the plate sit's on the hearth.....Would it be good to have a space under it? Now what do I use for wheels....

Hope it's patented so you get the royalties

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
                        Cool, now I want to see it in action. do you have any temperature readings before/after type of stuff?

It appears the plate sit's on the hearth.....Would it be good to have a space under it? Now what do I use for wheels....

Hope it's patented so you get the royalties

Thanks
                        XJim,
                        I tried the wheel thing but it was costing me a fortune in replacements and the rubber was a real pain to clean off the floor.

I will get some readings for you next weekend. At this point I can say that by the time the temp drops on one side from multiple pizza bakes I can throw it to that side and bake on the alternate while the first side recharges. Will get you time and temps next week; I dismantled my temporary chimney system to erect the final yesterday and want to give the mortar a week to cure. Which will also affect the timing of the video - - I will post some pics.

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                        Nice illustrations JCG. Cool idea.

I'm not having big problems with ash and embers on pizzas, but the occasional rolling log off fire will make me shout a few profanities.
                        Yeah, as I said, the oak I am using isn't as seasoned as the seller would have had me believe, next time I will bring my moisture meter. But as mentioned above, apart from pizza cosmetics, the real value so far to me has been in managing the hearth temps. And while I haven't yet put the grill attachment to use I have parked the coals outside the oven while baking and then reinserted afterwards (to kiln dry my unseasoned wood).

Next week's video will now include "the George" a front log guard attachment and perhaps a ballbearing wheel system for XJim.

Thanks all,
                        Jim

yet

Comment

jcg31.
                          That is SO good.
                          Plus I admire your graphics skills.
                          Thanks for sharing.
                          J.

Comment

Working...