Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp Drop, Impossible to Recover - techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Drop, Impossible to Recover - techniques?

Howdy, I experience a strange thing with my Primavera 60, I'm sure has happened before to you guys - - cook lots of pizzas, everything works fine. Every now and again, I build the same fire the same way, and I get to a point where I can't get the fire hot enough (won't break 700degF) no matter how much wood I add, and I have to give up? Any ideas on what this is or how to recover from it when it happens?

Thanks for your help! Phil

How is you oven set up, is it enclosed, is it under a protective roof, is it an igloo with no enclosure or roof? By the way you describe the max temperature it sounds like wet insulation either floor or dome or both. Post a pic of your setup.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You say that this happens "every now and again". If that coincides with a wet or unseasoned wood supply, that could figure in with the long heat up times. If you are experiencing unusually heavy smoke for more than a few minutes at startup, that just may be the problem.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks yall!! It's a standard primavera 60 setup (pic attached), uncovered, out on an uncovered porch, so I can definitely see how moisture could play a part. The wood supply is another great idea, I definitely use wood from different batches (although the same supplier) - I have gotten some pretty heavy smoke, now that I think of it. Do yall season your wood indoors and/or sealed from the elements? Mine is only protected from above (porch roof).

Thanks again for the excellent response and help.
        Attached Files

Comment

I think that most store their wood outside. I do for sure. The cover of your porch sounds fine. The wood just needs to be protected from direct rain. Split hardwood needs at least a year to properly season (dry). I am burning some now that is was cut about 18 months to 2 years ago. It burns very well. You may check with your supplier the next time that you buy and ask how long it has been since it was cut. You may have to specify "seasoned firewood".

But, like Russell is suggesting. You will need a cover (temporary or permanent) for your oven. If it is out in the elements, water will find it's way in. When not in use, a a tarp can be placed over a cool oven. I've seen some on this forum who have had covers custom made to fit. Do you have a cap to place over the flue when it is not in use?
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
          X