web analytics
Review this insulating board Plz - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review this insulating board Plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Review this insulating board Plz

    After not finding any of the floor insulating materials, i run into this down the street!! i'm somehow surprised yet not sure if this is the right Ceramic Board to use... here is the description text:

    Ceraboard is a refractory fibre board supplied in panels of standard thicknesses made from a slurry of refractory fibres and binders which have a low organic content.
    The combination of different refractory fibres, inorganic and organic binders in different proportions allows types of boards to be made suitable for different use temperatures.
    In some types of heating equipment the emission of fumes, which can occur when binders burn out of the board, can be easily eliminated.

    CLASSIFICATION TEMPERATURE &
    GRADES AVAILABLE
    Ceraboard 100 : 1260C
    Ceraboard 115 : 1400C
    The maximum continuous use temperature depends on the application. In case of doubt, refer to your local Morgan Thermal Ceramics distributor for advice.

    FEATURES
    High temperature stability
    Low thermal conductivity
    Low heat storage
    Rigidity and high cohesive strength allow machiningand cutting
    Resistant to thermal shock
    Good erosion resistance
    Can be used in direct contact with flame
    Easy application

    TYPE
    Rigid panel based on refractory fibres.
    THICKNESS TOLERANCES
    Less than 10mm: +/- 0.5mm (except for Ceraboard 100: +/- 1mm)
    From 10mm to 20mm: +/- 1mm
    From 25mm to 50mm: +/- 2mm
    More than 50mm: +/- 4mm

    APPLICATIONS
    These versatile boards can be used where a rigid, self-supporting and insulating product is required which also has good resistance to
    physical damage.
    Ceramic industry (kiln linings & kiln car insulation)
    Glass industry
    Ducts insulation
    General thermal barriers
    High temperature insulation
    Last edited by Mirrven; 09-12-2017, 11:27 AM.

  • #2
    It certainly looks like either Ceraboard grade will do the job for the base insulation of your oven. Especially when in the applications it notes for use in kiln lining and for High temperature insulation. Because it doesn't mention water absorption tendency/potential in the specs, I would definitely look at making sure you create a water barrier around the base (and drill a few drain holes in the slab below) to keep the Ceraboard from absorbing water through seams around the perimeter of the oven base (and to help it drain/vent if it does get damp).

    Note: I haven't used this product, so this is just my guess on its insulation value for your build based on the specs you posted
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

    FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Ceraboard has the same composition that our forum sponsor Forno Bravo sells. It is Alumina Silicate board. This should be fine, the 100 series,if cheaper, has operating temp rated well over what you will see in floor temps. If you budget can handle it a bare min is 2" but 3 or 4" would be ideal. If this seller has this board, it is most likely they have access to ceramic blanket for your dome as well.
      Russell
      Build Link............... Picassa Photo Album Link

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
        It certainly looks like either Ceraboard grade will do the job for the base insulation of your oven. Especially when in the applications it notes for use in kiln lining and for High temperature insulation. Because it doesn't mention water absorption tendency/potential in the specs, I would definitely look at making sure you create a water barrier around the base (and drill a few drain holes in the slab below) to keep the Ceraboard from absorbing water through seams around the perimeter of the oven base (and to help it drain/vent if it does get damp).

        Note: I haven't used this product, so this is just my guess on its insulation value for your build based on the specs you posted
        Thank you for your reply. The draining holes part really makes sense, great advice!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          Ceraboard has the same composition that our forum sponsor Forno Bravo sells. It is Alumina Silicate board. This should be fine, the 100 series,if cheaper, has operating temp rated well over what you will see in floor temps. If you budget can handle it a bare min is 2" but 3 or 4" would be ideal. If this seller has this board, it is most likely they have access to ceramic blanket for your dome as well.
          So relaxing to hear someone expert confirm the composition, I already bought the Ceramic Blanket online from a guy that actually didn't know very much about the product he was selling, how ironic is that! i live in a country where most shops know nothing about their products except for the price tag, Job requirements here are ridiculously low, people end up working in fields they have no relation to whatsoever, i don't blame them, as opportunities are not given so widely. Thank you

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mirrven View Post

            Thank you for your reply. The draining holes part really makes sense, great advice!
            That is great advice. That plus elevating the insulation would be invaluable protection from water.
            joe watson

            "A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

            My Build
            My Picasa Web Album

            Comment

            Working...
            X