1st post from newbie on heat for natural gas pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st post from newbie on heat for natural gas pizza oven

Hi everyone, first and foremost happy new year! This forum is filled with such great information that will help me along the way of my pizza oven build.

Let's start by the basics, I am building a pizza oven the floor will be fire bricks sides and top steel. The pizza oven will go into my outdoor fireplace above (about 2 feet)where my logs sit. I do not intend to use the oven while there is a fire going. Now I'm very good with my hands, I've pretty much built an outdoor kitchen, a deck, a modern style fire pit. Ran electricity 120 and 240, piped all the natural gas for the fire pit, outdoor kitchen and the fireplace. So theres no shortage of experience for the hands on part.

My question after building myself up. Lol. I want to make my pizza oven natural gas. I have a 1 inch pipe running so plenty of gas to the fireplace. I'm going to build the burner for the inside and was wondering this. Does the burner just go on the back wall? Can it be on all 3 sides or do you need at least one side with no flames to control the cooking process? Do you suggest I put a burner underneath the over as well to heat the bricks up?
    Sorry this turned out longer than I wanted.

Hello there, New person to these forums. I, too, wanted to make my pizza oven having a natural gas feed to the dome. I decided against this for several reasons. I'll cover that shortly. The reasons that I WANTED a natural gas feed to my pizza oven was this:
    1. convenience (to start up the oven pretty much immediately, as well as not having to worry about wood/logs)
    2. cleanliness (i.e. to not get black soot on my fingers, zero ash formation , etc, and so on)
    3. I already had/have a natural gas bib in the area of the pizza oven
    4. avoiding violating municipal bylaws (..in the city that I reside, there is no open-flame allowed in people's backyards / front yards)

This last one is really quite stupid as everybody kinda violates this law. The whole idea is that our city law makers simply copied Vancouver's bylaws b/c it is easier to copy another's manual, sort of speak. The purpose of anti-open flame is obvious --> keeping air quality good, not causing a forest fire, not burning down one's house or a neighbourhood of houses.

Now, I ended up not doing natural gas for a few reasons:
    1. I was for sure going to place a cast metal (reproduction old style) swing open door on my pizza oven and I was told by my mason that this would/could make my outdoor pizza oven into a potential BOMB and literally explode bricks over a forty yard area.
    2. I could care less about violating municipal laws as everybody does it anyways. My neighbours would never call City Bylaw people as they have outdoor (wood burning) fireplaces like I do .. But I am the only one with a pizza oven that is wood burning.
    3. I tend to burn wood in my outdoor pizza oven and/or my outdoor fireplace only when another neighbour does so .... this way .. if a by-law persons comes sniffing around .. I can say "it wasn't me, it was one of the other six neighbours that also have what I have ... just peek over the fence, dude"

Comment

I know this post is a little old but I thought I had commented before. Before you add natural gas to this chamber there have to be safety measure on the gas supply utilizing thermo couplers and an electronic gas valve along with flame sensors and the such. Fresh air is also important. You should NEVER add natural gas to this appliances without safety measures including an emergency gas cut off switch as this appliance can now become a bomb. There specific products you can purchase that have all these safety measures included and is UL listed here is an example https://www.vamparossa.com and you can buy here https://www.belforno.com/gas-burner/#a I was thinking of adding this to my oven just in case I wanted options. You can add it during construction or after as a retrofit.

Ricky
      Last edited by Chach; 06-07-2020, 02:34 PM.
      My Build Pictures
      https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Working...
      X