Thermocouples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermocouples

Can someone recommend a 5 probe thermocouple package?

Have you been happy with what you've used?

I would like to include this high tech feature but don't know a lot about them/

Please advise....

Thanks Mucho
    XJ
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Re: Thermocouples

Omega makes a 6 probe thermocouple that is very good. I believe the CN606 is a six probe outlet. I have the CN612, which is 12. Both are rather expensive though, so make sure you really want it. A lot of people are perfectly fine with an IR thermometer or their hand.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

anyone else using tc's?

Comment

Yep....

Home built affair, with 4 thermocouples linked via a 3 pole 4 way rotary switch to a single digital read out. LEDs indicate which tc is in use (using 3rd pole of switch)

Total cost about $80, including an IP65 enclosure. Used k-type tc's from ebay, and calibrated it using ice and boiling water.

It works, but to be honest I use it to check heat soak rather than oven temperature as most of the time I'm watching the dome and testing with my hand for 'pizza' temperature.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

I am also using tc's. Bought 5 from ebay along with a digital reader and rotary switch which will hold 12 tc's. I have 2 in the floor( one near the surface, and the other 2 inches lower) with the same set up in the ceiling, (one close to the surface the other 2 inches deeper.) The last one is in the side wall of the dome.

Cheers, Versachi
          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

If I install tubes in my oven, what materials work best?

I was thinking about some copper pipe or tubing. Or should something else be used? I'm thinking it's better to be able to change the probes than to bury them in the masonry.

Ideas or advice?

Comment

Bought 5 from ebay along with a digital reader and rotary switch which will hold 12 t

Can you specify which units these were?

Thanks

Comment

Is anyone using a high-temp dial thermometer instead of the digital readout thermocouples? Something like this:

I saw a few examples in an Outdoor Kitchens book I picked up for inspiration, and I like the idea, but I don't remember seeing anyone here who has used such an item. Anyone lurking out there with experience with this type of thermometer?
                Nikki

Comment

I talked to an engineer at Omega who recommended their TJ36-CASS-18U-6 for woord-fired ovens. I'm not sure which reader I'll be getting, though.
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

Sears sells a mulitmeter that also has (I think) J and K type input.

not pretty but will get you to the point where you can take readings...

christo
                    My oven progress -
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X