Burned up my door!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burned up my door!

Trouble with cement sheet is that it contains portland cement which doesn't stand up to heat well. I like a wooden door as it's traditional and wood is a good insulator, trouble is it tends to char. Italian oven doors were usually soaked in a bucket of water. This introduces some steam into the oven for bread baking as well as preventing some burning, but if the door has been on for some time it burns anyway. I'm sure some sort of insulating panel that's not too heavy and takes the sting out of the oven heat will preserve the wooden door. Metal doors are poor insulators and become dangerously hot to handle. Any one else got some solutions ?
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have a burned door story too. I had the most beautiful thick wooden door my husband made me out of a floor board from our barn. To make a long story short, my husband looked out our window and said, "the door must not be on the oven tight because I can see flames on the side of it". When I went outside I found the door on fire and beyond usable. For my birthday this year he made me a new door out of concrete. I don't know how much it weighs but it's a real workout putting it on and off. Also, he put handles on it made from copper tubing that go through close to the inside of the door and are great conductors of heat. Hmmmmm, maybe not so well thought out but a nice birthday present all the same. We may have to make another wooden door and I'll try to be more careful.

Time to go make dough. Pizza night. Does it seem to you that every time you have company you serve them pizza too? I wonder if they're getting tired of it and not telling me.

Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post

Does it seem to you that every time you have company you serve them pizza too? I wonder if they're getting tired of it and not telling me.

Karen
        Yes I do,
        and
        I doubt they are tired of it.

I haven't had pizza in two weeks!
        But this weekend, I'm firing my oven back up.
        Whether it's ready or not!
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

OK, I have not gone this route yet (I currently only have a 1/4" steel plate door with steel handles, yes, all get very hot - gloves needed) but here is my idea for my next door (I too like the idea of a wood door):
          Inside would be sheet steel (preferably stainless) which would wrap insulating board (probably 2") and then attach to an outer slab of the hardwood of my choice (probably 1" thick). I'm sure over time I would get some charing around the edges where the stainless would attach to the wood plank, but the insulating board would deflect most of the heat from the majority of the wood......not sure if it will work long term, but I do plan to attemp it after I get a few dozen other projects out of the way.

RT

Comment

If they were tired of it they would find an excuse NOT to come. I find the opposite to be true - People telling me they want to stop by, then asking if I'm making pizza "anytime soon".

RT

Comment

Working...
            X