Low and Wide entry arch design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low and Wide entry arch design

I was looking at this photo and noticed that it really has a pretty low arch for a commercial oven......and after knocking my peels on the sides of my oven entry, I also noticed that it has a very wide design.

I think the low arch would be great for heat management in keeping more heat in the oven and the wide entrance would be a great consideration for making larger pizza's with more peel room.

It also seems to have a raised grill area I never noticed when I took the pic.

....some interesting design considerations!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Low and Wide entry arch design

If pizza was you're only concern for the oven, I think that you are absolutely correct. I'm mulling this over in my mind though, as there is a generally agreed on ratio of door height to dome height of 60 - 65%. Someone help me out here - my books are upstairs. Why was this considered the best set-up?
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I can't remember why that's considered to be the ideal hight either, but I do know you need it for roasting a nice large turkey!
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

That looks like a standard tuscan grill, but I don't know how they got it in there: screwed the feet on after it was in the oven? Hmmm

A lot of commercial pizza ovens have very low domes, hence the low entry to keep the 2/3 ratio.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
          If pizza was you're only concern for the oven, I think that you are absolutely correct. I'm mulling this over in my mind though, as there is a generally agreed on ratio of door height to dome height of 60 - 65%. Someone help me out here - my books are upstairs. Why was this considered the best set-up?
          The first ratio I heard referred to when building an oven was 4/7 which comes out to about 57% then upon further research it was suggested that it be about 63%..I think it was Alan Scott that referenced the 4/7 and maybe Rado or MHA that referenced the 63%
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch,
            That's the reference! If memory serves, it was based on studies of many many ovens built both in Europe and by Native Americans. For whatever reason (likely efficiency during innumerable comparisons by bakers using those existing ovens, and/or trial and error) this 63% entryway to dome height was found to be the best.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
            X