This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Log holder and fire quality

Difficult to tell from my brief inspection - it certainly wasn't small though. I recall that it was rectangular and had legs in each of the four corners (with pads I assume) and had 3" or so high sides fabricated from steel strip. I'm not sure what the grate was made of, but there would have been significant area for the coals to drop through to the floor. I'll just have to go back and have another look!

Comment

I got my FB log holder and tried it out for the first time yesterday. Here's my take: It definitely helped create bigger flames and to keep the oven nice and super hot for those 90-second pizzas.

What I didn't expect was that it also made it easier to throw more logs on throughout the night since the curved design makes the logs stay put and not roll out onto the floor.

Can you live without one? Sure, I but it's one more tool that helps everything run smoothly.

Comment

Looks like a great idea, I may have to try one. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I went to lowes and purchased the smallest fireplace log holder they had. wrought iron, it only lasted 2 months and the heat seems to have made it droop.

I am not so sure that it was worth it anyway. it did catch new logs I was throwing in, but I think the fire right on the floor , as I do now might spread the heat into the floor better.

Comment

I have the FB log holder. All I can say is sometimes I look at my fire and think "man, it's just not roaring like normal.". That's usually when I figure out I forgot to put the log holder in! Really, really makes a difference in my opinion.
            Ernie

Ducane 5 Burner Stainless / 34 Inch WFO

Comment

i am intrigued by the log holder, but have a maybe silly question: do you just need one of these, so the logs sit on the holder with one side and on the floor with the other or should you use two, one on each side of the logs?
              thanks

Comment

I only have one and that's enough.

The more I've used the log holder, the more valuable I think it is. It really helps keep a super hot, raging fire, which is how I like to cook pizza. When I have a fire going on the side of my 42" oven, the flames go up the side of the dome and almost to the floor on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by sjmeff View Post
                  I only have one and that's enough.

The more I've used the log holder, the more valuable I think it is. It really helps keep a super hot, raging fire, which is how I like to cook pizza. When I have a fire going on the side of my 42" oven, the flames go up the side of the dome and almost to the floor on the other side.
                  thanks. i might be a little slow in grasping things - didn't have coffee yet -but, i take it you use the holder with the initial firing of the oven and then when you push it over to the side you also use it, having it sitting in/on the coals and just elevating the logs over them...

fritz

Comment

Hey Fritz - I don't use the log holder for the initial firing. Instead, I use the top-down method described here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/...ideo-5294.html

If I've done a long firing and there are a lot of coals/ashes in the oven, I sometimes take 2-3 shovel fulls out (I find that I got a hotter active fire with less coals/ashes).

Once I push the fire over to the side, I put the log holder on top of the coals. With my turning peel, I put 2-3 small logs (2.5-3" diameter) on top of the log holder to keep a hot, active fire.

Hope that helps!

S

Comment

Originally posted by sjmeff View Post
                      Hey Fritz - I don't use the log holder for the initial firing. Instead, I use the top-down method described here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/...ideo-5294.html

If I've done a long firing and there are a lot of coals/ashes in the oven, I sometimes take 2-3 shovel fulls out (I find that I got a hotter active fire with less coals/ashes).

Once I push the fire over to the side, I put the log holder on top of the coals. With my turning peel, I put 2-3 small logs (2.5-3" diameter) on top of the log holder to keep a hot, active fire.

Hope that helps!

S
                      ok, got it - thanks for the explanation. i use the top-down method too to start the fire, that's why i was confused.
                      the log holder seems like a good thing to have and use, i think i will order one and give it a try - gotta have new tools and toys every once in a while

thanks again

fritz

Comment

could you post a youtube video of how you use the logholder? A video would be worth more than a thousand words.

Comment

we too are using a log holder and it makes it easy to scoop out hot coals for the indoor bbq as well

Comment

Originally posted by jjerrier View Post
                            Can you post a picture of it in action or the logs stacked on it?? I saw the pic on the store site, but can't visualize how it actually works.

I have a big problem with heat drop off on the floor
                            I too would like to see a pic to better conceptualize this. Do you need a pair of holders to make this work? Also, is there any performance difference btwn the $25 and $65 dollar holders on the site?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jjerrier View Post
                              Can you post a picture of it in action or the logs stacked on it?? I saw the pic on the store site, but can't visualize how it actually works.

I have a big problem with heat drop off on the floor
                              I'd like to this this too. I have tried it a few ways. I'd like to see a pic of how it should sit and where the first logs go.

Comment

Working...
                              X