Driving heat across the cooking floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driving heat across the cooking floor

I'm so relieved to see these "plasma" shots. I'm in the final stages of curing my Artigiano120 and have been a bit surprised at how big the fires get when firing to 700+ temps. This all makes me more comfortable with the idea of having a raging inferno in my oven while baking. Tomorrow I make my first pies!

Comment

Originally posted by stuart View Post
      I'm so relieved to see these "plasma" shots. I'm in the final stages of curing my Artigiano120 and have been a bit surprised at how big the fires get when firing to 700+ temps. This all makes me more comfortable with the idea of having a raging inferno in my oven while baking. Tomorrow I make my first pies!

Congrats!

Where is Bartonvile, Texas?

I'm in San Angelo.

Don't forget to post pics of your first pies! We all enjoy looking at those!
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Show some plasma shots too. How many pies are you planning?
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Dutch, took your advice and I now have a great oven. No doors yet but they are being designed. I want to post my photos for everyone to see. They are now on MySpace. Should I send them here to direct people to there?

Comment

I did 2 things that made all the difference. Huge fire for 3 hrs, then moved all the coals to one side and cooked the pizza on the opposite side. I used to put the coals on either side and cook in the middle. I am very happy with my set up now pizza's were yummy.

Comment

Beamer, those are superb photos. You must have devoured those pizzas. Big difference w/ coals to one side. More room too.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Beammeup:

Nice pictures.
                Just an opinion, on next time you would like to took the ashes and the most of the coals out and feed the fire with a few new branches.
                This will give your oven the necessary live flames to bake the toppings along the bottom of the pizza and there will be a lot of free hearth space to bake too.

Good luck
                Luis

Comment

Thats a good idea. I was struggling for room. I guess a fresh fire would give off more heat than the coals.

Comment

Definitely! From the pictures you made a really nice big, crazy fire...but...when it comes time to put the pizzas in you won't need that much volume of coal. I think you could reduce that bank of coals down to about 25-30 percent of what is shown in the pics and then add a piece or two of nice dry wood. Just an active fire that reaches the top of the dome will keep nice heat rolling in your oven. I have to have a larger bank of coals for pizza to combat some cool spots. My oven is a barrel vault much more effective for bread baking...but I can still make some killer pizza!
                    Best
                    Dutch
                    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Great advice all. If you end up with a large bank of coal from firing your oven, you can shovel a good percentage of it out into a steel pail. Then, as others have noted, you can keep the flame going by adding a few pieces of 2-3" diamater wood. It should combust quickly, which will give you the flame you want in the oven dome. By taking the excess coals out, you will have more room on the cooking floor, without compromising your cooking temperature.

I also think the fire is much better on one side (the left of me), rather than the back (over even on two sides).

James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                        Great advice all. If you end up with a large bank of coal from firing your oven, you can shovel a good percentage of it out into a steel pail.
                        The other day I shoveled a bunch of excess red coals into the Weber BBQ, and closed it up with the lid. The next bake I had a load of stick charcoal, which I put in the Weber fire starter,

and it started right up with a piece of crumpled newspaper in minutes, much faster that briquettes. I was able to go from match to hot coals in minutes, ready for logs.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Interesting, I will have to try that, I have been using a small metal garbage can with a locking lid. I was shoveling coals out the other day, and my dad said, hey, you just made charcoal, but of course, I ignored him....silly me....

Also, I would caution everyone, those coals will smolder for days, don't throw them into the trash for a long long time...
                          My Oven Thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Or use a Shopvac after days and days.
                            James
                            Last edited by james; 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM.
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hello All:

I've been reading this helpful thread, but still need some help. I've got a relatively small oven (the diameter of my cooking surfact is about 34") and I've been cranking out great food, but not great pizzas.

The problem is bottom heat. I get pizzas with perfectly done "tops" but undercooked bottoms. If I pre-cook the crusts for a minute, then top them, I have excellent results. But I think that's just stupid.

I keep active flame on the side of the oven during pizza cooking and have experimented with big fire (flames coming all the way across the dome) and small fire (flame coming 1/4 across the dome), but while both seem to recharge the dome, neither seem to recharge the floor effectively.

Should I be moving the fire pile from side to side after every five of six pizzas? Does this even recharge the floor? Sometimes I feel the floor doesn't get very hot under those big piles of coals on the fire-bearing side.

Any help anyone can offer?

Thanks!

Goatboy

Comment

Goatboy, how much area and how thick is the vermiculite, concrete mix? This sounds like the issue. How about heating? What temp do you get up to and maintain?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Working...
                                X