Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modena140 Wood - Floor disintegrating under fire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modena140 Wood - Floor disintegrating under fire??

I installed a Modena 140 wood burning oven in my pizza takeaway shop 6 months ago. I have recently noticed that the oven floor under where the fire burns is disintegrating and chipping away, up to half an inch deep.
    We use a mix of spruce and oak/ash and normally burn at 650 - 700⁰F.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how I might prevent any more ware?
    I was thinking of getting a heavy iron tray made up to contain the fire and perhaps offset some of the intense heat towards the floor.

Re: Modena140 Wood - Floor disintegrating under fire??

Looks like a cast floor. Can you just patch the floor? What material did you use to build the floor? I was also thinking if wet wood was being used if so the water that comes out could cause spalding else the floor is not a refractory cement rated for such temps.

Comment

You should call forno bravo tech support...
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

It is a pre cast floor, the whole oven came as a kit from the forno bravo factory in Italy, the floor is a 5 foot diameter 3" thick slab of solid refractory concrete, it took 5 men struggling to lift it into place, which is why i'm so supprised it is falling apart after 6 months.

Comment

Sorry, also forgot to mention that the wood we use is at least 6 months seasoned, I personally check the wood before it is delivered, it is as dry as it can get. I'll attach some photos of construction.

Comment

Some more.........

Comment

And more..........

Comment

And 1 more...........

Comment

Ireland, one of those places on my wish list to go visit.

According to the pictures that was 5 BIG men to move that slab.

When I replied to your post I did not realize that was a kit oven by Forno Bravo. Being only six months old customer service or tech support would be the way to go.

I built my oven on my own so my tech support is looking in the mirror and talking with myself.

Loved your pictures and that is such a nice looking shop. What was that in the last picture it looked too thick to be pizza?

Good luck with your repair,

Faith

Comment

Thanks Faith, thats focaccia bread, when dough is 24 hours old we make bread to use it up, we stick olives, cherry tomatoes, smoked meat etc into the bread and bake it before we fire up the oven. Its usually about 500F in the morning, perfect for baking.

Comment

Here's some of our bread at the market and a pepperoni pizza....

Comment

AndrewPizza: what was your eventual solution to the disintigrating floor problem?

Comment

Yes, have you found a solution to your problem?

That bread and pizza looks wonderful. Thanks for the pictures.

It's lunch time and I'm hungry. I wonder how much of a lunch break I would need to run out and get some of your pizza. It's only about 3,500 miles or so.

Comment

Hi guys,

James here. Andrew, your pizza and bread look great, and I really like the feel of your restaurant. Excellent! You will hear from the FB UK guys soon (you may have already heard from them). We are showing your pictures to the factory in Italy, and getting their input on what they think is happening and what we need to do about it. This is the first time we have seen this happen and there is a very large number of these ovens in the field. Of course you should keep using the oven -- and we are going to do what it takes to make it 100% right for you. The floor is nearly 2 3/4" thick and it is designed to last at least 10+ years. Keep cooking!

James
                            Last edited by james; 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM.
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James,
                              We are still cooking, with the fire moved to a different part of the oven. Strangely, since we moved the fire to the other side, the oven is performing better, more consistent heat, and getting up to our preferred heat 700F quicker. Not sure if it is recommended to move the fire frequently?? Anyway, we're still open for business and pizza is still delicious.

Comment

Working...
                              X