For Sale: Mobile Brick Oven Wood Fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale: Mobile Brick Oven Wood Fired

I have a Modina 120 mounted on a trailer. I purchased it back in April and have used it at numerous events, festivals, catering and non-profit. It has turned out better than I anticipated, the FB oven is a real workhorse. I truly love this oven.

Now, I am looking at the next stage of my business and believe it will involve a fully enclosed trailer. At this point, I do not really need two ovens and am kicking around selling it.

The trailer is 15' long, has two torsion axles with electric brakes. The overall set up will weigh just under 5000 lbs., so you will want to consider a F150 or 1500 series vehicle for towing (1/2 ton). I have had it out often since spring, but we are only talking 6 months, so the tires are still have a lot of miles remaining on them. There is a large, open storage area in front of the oven (the mouth of the oven faces to the rear). I use that area for wood, coolers, metal racks, tools, etc.

My oven is very well built. I used a builder in NC who was building fire brick ovens. The Modena is 4" thick. Above the oven is a thick layer of perlite and below is 5" of concrete. Once you bring it up to temperature (700 on the floor) and keep it there for a few hours, you have enough retained heat to cook for the next two days as long as you keep the door shut. I have the regular FB door as well as a travel door that bolts in place.

This is a great opportunity for someone considering getting into the business as I have or for a pizzeria who wants to begin offering catering services. The latter will likely not need help, but if you are just starting out, I will be happy to help you in any way I can. There are mistakes I have made, events that I have gotten into, etc. that I will help you not make. There are some key items that will make your life much easier.

I live in N. GA, just south of Chattanooga, TN. I am willing to travel to meet you or even bring the oven to you. We would need to work out a charge for delivery.

I am asking $14000 for my set up.

Re: For Sale: Mobile Brick Oven Wood Fired

Hey Bob is the oven still for sale?

Comment

Yes, I still have my oven, it is parked securely in my garage out of the weather.

Now that my season is over, I have had the opportunity to re-evaluate my 2012 season. I am very nearly too late to order an enclosed pizza trailer to be built. If I sell my oven now, I will spend part of my season without the ability to sell pizza. This is far from where I want to be, but life does not always work the way we expect it to.

As I was putting away for winter storage all my tools and equipment, I realized that with the enclosed trailer there will be many things I will no longer need. I have racks, a water stand (all AL, so they are light and won't rust). I have 6 of the 150 qt. Igloo coolers, certainly I won't need all these. I have several tables, more peels than I need. A prep tent with a new net - but with a season of heavy use. Probably some other tools/equipment too that I will toss in with the sale. Plus the knowledge that I have gained in 2011. I will help you get up and over any learning curve that may exist.

So, although it may not be great timing for me, let's talk.

Comment

What is missing from your current oven set up that prompted your decision to move up to a different kind of trailer? Is it because you ned to produce a higher volume of pizzas or is it about health department regulations?

I'm just standing on the threshold of beginning a business so I'm trying to gather as much information from people who have been there and done it.

Mike

Comment

Great question Mike. I will help anyway I can.

You nailed two of my biggest points. Everytime I look at my oven, I want to get it out and work it. We have a great product (I can show you what we do and you can make it your own) and have been praised over and over for the quality of our pizzas. The problem is that I can not put us in front of potential customers often enough. Legally, to be out daily, I have to be in an enclosed trailer.

Also, I need to be enclosed to make better use of a food warmer so that we can serve slices in high volume circumstances. Often I have been questioned, "how many pizzas can you get in your oven?" It's the wrong question. The question should be, "how many pizzas can you make?" The oven screams at 700+ degrees on the floor. You are going to cook a pizza in 90 - 120 seconds, even quicker if you have it hotter. The problem with hotter is that you can lose control very quickly. The oven becomes less and less forgiving as your temp increases. If I have 3 people building (who know how to do it), we might be able to out run the oven, but it is not an easy task.

Sounds like you are where I was a year ago. I knew how to cook pizza, but that was about it. I will help you if you feel like there is a learning curve that you need to get up and over. Ultimately, doing it is how you will get over that. But I can certainly help you to not make some of the mistakes I made.

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the information I appreciate your candor and your willingness to help a newbie.

Mike

Comment

You're welcome Mike. There aren't a lot of people out there giving information, especially for free. I need to sell my oven in order to be able to buy the enclosed trailer, that is a fact. But I love making pizza and talking about the business - best said, I love the reaction when the customer orders, then watches you build, then stares at their pizza in the oven. When it comes out and they get a smell from it and their mouth starts watering. Ultimately, you hand them the box, they open it and take a bite....their eyes roll back in their head and this gutteral grown comes from their throat. They open their eyes and this great big grin spreads across their face. This is usually followed by something like, "man, that is really good!"

I'm not sure how old you are or what sort of work experience you have, but let me tell you, you can't buy that sort of job satisfaction!

One point on working from a tent that I will miss very much. It gives you the chance to be a show man. The kids (and adults) love it when you are working the dough and you toss it up in the air. They also enjoy just watching you build their pizza. The tent is like a fish bowl and I have to admit, that's fun.

Fun is well and good, but we have to be profitable don't we? So, I will give up that part of the fun as the enclosed trailer will be my primary source of income. We were out somewhere around 40 times in 2011. These events ranged from 4 hours to 4 days. At some events, the money was great. At others...there was that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach on the way home that said, "I just worked (and worked my family) that hard, that long and out in that weather for $X?" I will help you find events to go to where you have a greater chance of avoiding that feeling. Sometimes you won't be able to help it, so just always be prepared to be disappointed - that makes the good ones that much better. But the heat of summer will come and there will be storms that will drive the people away.

Feel free to look at my pictures on my Facebook page, they will give you an idea of how truly versatile the oven is (let me know if this link doesn't get you there):

Facebook

Comment

The FB link wouldn't work for me.

Sounds like panning for gold. Sometimes there's a nugget and sometimes it's just dirt. Success is experiential. I too want my family involved. I want my two kids to understand the value of a dollar, what work really is and how it can be rewarding and to also give them a different take on the things life has (and occasionally doesn't have) to offer.

I was in the business until 10 years ago. Feels like it's time to get back in it.
                I would like to take a drive to take a look at your rig. I'm pretty busy through the first of the year. A road trip might be a great way to get 2012 off to a good start.

Comment

Seems that the forum changed the link, not sure how to do it differently. Do a search on FB for Bob Watts. There are a bunch of us on there. My icon/picture is of a fire in my oven. Try this to see if it works:

First Fire | Facebook

Yes, the first of the year would be fine. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in person and in front of a scorching hot wood fired oven with a pizza about to go in!

My children are 11 (girl) and 15 (boy - soon to be a man). I realized a few years ago what a short time I had left with them, especially my son. I wanted to give them a gift, but a gift that was signficant. One that taught them about the true meaning of life - of why we are here and what we can accomplish during our brief stay in this life.

We have a shelter in Chattanooga, TN (about 20 miles away) that we go monthly and cook for. These are women and children who were homeless. I wanted my children to see what real need looks like in this country. My kids THINK they live in need. I wanted to give them a glimpse of what need really looked like. At the vast majority of our events, we have seen people who wanted a pizza, but you could tell they simply didn't feel like they could afford it. After a while, you begin getting a sense for it. When we first started, I decided that we would never turn someone away because of a lack of money. To my knowledge, we have remained true to that commitment. I want to encourage you and anyone else reading this to make a similar commitment. Yes, we have to be profitable to stay, but I sold my soul in business years ago and ultimately saw nothing but spiritual death. You will find that with a wood fired oven, Life and community spring up where none previously existed. It is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen - people are drawn to it. You have the opportunity to have an impact on people who you never knew before and will likely never see again. It is that, this Life, that is the gift I am giving my children.

My son runs the oven - and does a fine job with it. My daughter is still young, but this is allowing her to see how when she works, it benefits the team as a whole. She builds pizzas with me. My wife handles the 'front end' with taking orders, handling drinks, collecting money. During a crush, it is plain to see that if there is a break down any where, we all fail. But, when we work as a team, we all succeed. Always as a team.

I have paid both kids through out 2011. My son has bought several things, he's an outdoors man. My daughter bought herself one of the new Kindle Fires. They understand that they have done this with THEIR money. You are exactly correct, it is an amazing teaching tool.

I say all that because of your 'gold' comments. It goes to the core reason we do what we do. It is always the WHY that makes all the difference when it seems we are panning more dirt than gold. It is this why, this purpose will see you through to the next event where there is once more a chance for that gold nugget!

This is a lot of work. Pizza, made from scratch right in front of your customers, is seriously labor intensive. I would be negilgent if I did not tell you that up front. But it is immensely satisfying too, on many different levels.

Comment

No matter what happens Bob, whether your oven is available or not after the first of the year I'm driving to Georgia to meet you and to shake your hand.

Our philosophies are very much the same. Merry Christmas to you and to your family.

Comment

Nicely built trailer Bob.
                      Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 07-13-2012, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Bob,
                        That was a beautiful post. I agree with you totally. I have a small mobile and do the odd function, but more often hire it out and let people "go for it". There is something about the power of fire that turns one into a philosopher and when you combine this with food and cooking , the magic begins. Sounds corny, but I feel like we're part of a revolution, getting back to what's important- sharing/ enjoying. These ovens save marriages, teach kids about the cycle of energy and conservation as well as rewarding us with the best cooked foods imaginable. Lost count of the number of times I've heard "That is the best pizza/roast/bread I've ever eaten.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

It would be a pleasure to meet you Mike. I do believe I will have my oven after the first of the year. This is the worst time to sell anything, or so it appears. It is sitting in my garage where I walk by it two dozen + times a day. The oven seems to beg to be taken out and fired up.

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

Comment

Post Christmas Greetings!

Hi Bob,

Are you going to be around the week of Jan 11, 2012?

I'd like to come down and have a look at the oven.

Happy New Year,

Mike

Comment

That sounds great Mike. When you finalize your plans, let me know and I'll make sure that I clear anything that may come up between now and then.

bobwatts@windstream.net

Comment

Working...
                              X