Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Large WFO in India

Originally posted by 1 strover View Post
    just one wider door opening with the chimney right over it?
    I would go for 1 wide door opening, this would make access to the large oven so much easier.

Can you draw your flue concept on paper, that way it will be easier to give help.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 strover View Post
      david s,the castable under the herringbone pattern is a refractory concrete used to insulate larger furnaces again i hope that should be ok,
      Ok, I thought it looked like normal concrete. If it is insulating castable rather than dense castable it should be ok. Because you have laid the floor straight over it you will have trapped a lot of water that the castable contains. It will take a long time to dry out this layer.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Check out where Panchgani is on google maps, it wont take that long to dry out.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Check out where Panchgani is on google maps, it wont take that long to dry out.
          It may well, as they are in the middle of their winter and I note that their humidity is currently 70%. Water evaporation is dependent on temp.humidity and air movement. If indoors there won't be any air movement. Our pottery often dries faster in our winter than in our summer because although the temp is lower the humidity is also lower.

Comment

Im sure a few fires will sort out the humidity.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

panchgani is is at an altitude of 4200 feet above sea level, my restaurant is a further 7 km from panchgani and a few hundred feet higher , the current day time temps here are 22-25 Celsius and night time temps are a low 5-8 Celsius the current humidity is at about 58% .
              i do plan to keep the oven unfired for few days till i get the whole insulation and the doors done.
              with your suggestions i did end up with only one opaning and a large vent a inch ahead of the door. the inner vent dimensions are 19x7 inches , the chimney height is planned at 15 feet above the cooking floor.
              here are a few pictures from day 3 that's today as i am working.
              ill add some more pictures of work done by the end of the day in a few hours
              My first build

“Every morning in a jungle, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Comment

Your new oven looks divine, Im sure you will get many happy years from it.

It reminds me of my build, only much bigger......
                Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-22-2012, 02:39 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Your oven looks terrific. What is the purpose of the pipes on the inside, are they extra air inlets or provision for gas burners?

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    Your oven looks terrific. What is the purpose of the pipes on the inside, are they extra air inlets or provision for gas burners?
                    U are rite the are provisions for possible future use of gas as our restaurant is in the middle of a reserve forest and an ecosensitive zone, and if tomorrow regulations are tightened against burning wood .
                    Only two will be used for gas . One wool be used for light and one for an additional temp sensor
                    My first build

“Every morning in a jungle, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Comment

as promised here are a couple of pics from the evening we completed closing the rear side and also closed up the front we also started making a form for the chimney to make my life easier . ive made the form out of steel and will keep it in place and let it rot over time .
                      My first build

Comment

day four and we finished the everything i can do rite now , i am awaiting the pipes for the chimney which should be here in a few days and the blanket which should be here in a couple of days.
                        here are a few pictures of the day today, we finished the chimney base on which the pipes will rest, i plan on them being 10 feet high form the top of the bricks which will make them of a total of 15 feet high from the cooking floor
                        we also did a small pooja (prayer )and asked for blessings , this in generally done for all new machines and equipments we make or acquire
                        My first build

Comment

i also did a small test fire which i had to put out after a few minutes as i could see some condensation on the sill just before the vent hood,
                          but loved the way the vent was drawing up the smoke, just about no smoke was coming back out from the decorative arch.
                          in the background you see some of my staff who were all very excited with their new oven.
                          now i need to clean up the extra mortar and coat the whole dome on the outside with thermoset which will plug up any leaks if any and then i will start the insulation work on .
                          My first build

Comment

love how this build is looking, at first i thought the front opening was going to be way too small, but looking at it now with you in the picture, it looks really good.
                            Keep pics coming....(oh yeh, great work)

"i think i heard faintly in the distance....free pizza's for FB members"

Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

I know it is more difficult to build, but the kiln builders bible "Kilns" by Daniel Rhodes says vaulted kilns of this configuration should have their end walls inside the vault, unless they have steel bracing to prevent the end walls having a tendency to fall outwards. I know this is not a kiln and therefore not subject to the higher temperatures and stresses of a kiln, but are you planning on having any steel bracing to avert this possibility? The length of your vault looks like about
                              3 m, with thermal expansion of around 0.5% this would be about 25mm of expansion pushing on the end walls.
                              Last edited by david s; 01-28-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

1 strover any more pics of the progress in the build?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X