Modena assembly photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modena assembly photos

I just posted a photo journal that shows how the Modena commercial ovens are made. It's a series of 40 photos that I think do a nice job of capturing the process, and describe the discrete steps.

Take a look, and let me know what you think. Comments and recommended edits are always appreciated.

James

http://www.fornobravo.com/commercial..._install1.html
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Balsamic oven needs no Balloons or Beach Ball

(M) That's a great set of 40 pictures showing the commercial Forno Bravo Oven and you used no vanes or balloons, James.

(M) I looked at each image and I think I may have found a "typo" in image #28 &/or #29 where mention is made of 2" of insulation. From the images it appears that the factory is only sealing the joints with a black furnace cement. The insulation is evident later in the total of 8" blankets.

(M) Since Modena is known for it's balsamic vinegar you might want to suggest balsamic oven as a nickname

Ciao,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Slide 31
      Not the rectangular shape for a good draw. (Missing an "e")

Slide 32 - Where has that pesky "e" gone to?
      This is the start of the final enclosure. Not the nice red baked enamel finish.

Comment

Modena

James,

Great set of images, super oven. It should sell well.

Put on my book editor's hat (picky, picky) and came up with the following:

1. Some captions have periods at the end, some don't, suggest normalizing this.

2. Occasionally, capital letters appear in the body copy of the captions, suggest they shouldn't.

3. Slide 1 Caption: ...are built on a...

4. Slide 3 heading: The First Layer of...

5. Slide 4 heading: The Second Layer of...

6. Slide 5 heading: The Second Layer of...

7. Slide 7 caption: remove the comma

8. Slide 8 heading: remove Itself (redundant)
        caption: It's a single block, 2 3/4" thick, and it's heavy.

9. Slide 12 caption: ...floor, then mortared in place to receive the combination arch/vent.

10. Slide 13 heading: Setting the Opening/Arch/Vent
        caption: The cast opening/arch/vent is mortared to the landing.

11. Slide 15 caption: ...dome segments are...

12. Slide 18 caption: ...models, the left and right extension pieces are set in place.

13. Slide 19 caption: Fitting the left...

14. Slide 23 heading: Mortaring the Ledge
        caption: Preparing to set the top...

15. Slide 24 heading: Setting...
        caption: Setting...

16. Slide 25 heading: Closing...
        caption: Setting...

17. Slide 26 heading: Closing...
        caption: ...inside...

18. Slide 27 heading: Closing...

19. Slide 28 caption: All external joints are sealed with...

20. Slide 29 caption: To ensure that the bottom of the dome is well insulated, vermiculite insulating concrete (5:1 vermiculite to Portland cement) is packed between...

21: Slide 31: Modena Assemby: Attaching the Vent
        heading: Fitting and Mortaring...
        caption: Note the...

22. Slide 32: Modena Assembly: Fitting...
        heading: Fitting and Mortaring
        caption: Note the handsome, durable, red, baked-enamel finish.

23. Slide 33: Modena Assembly: Attaching...
        caption: ...is rivetted...

24. Slide 34: Modena Assembly: Attaching...
        caption: Operating the rivet gun.

25. Slide 35 caption: Up to 8" of high-efficiency, woven ceramic insulation (heat resistant to 2500 F) is packed around the dome. Even when the Modena is at peak firing temperatures, the outer enclosure walls do not become hot.

26. Slide 37 caption: Remove capital L from layers in the body copy.

27. Slide 39 caption: The finished Modena can...

28. Slide 40 heading: Ready to Go (2)
        caption: Just hook up the chimney, fire and bake.

All the leader dots (...) mean is that the rest of the text is okay.

Most of this probably resulted from translation. Anyway, hope it helps.

Congrats,

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Well, since we all have our critical hats on....

You are using html to specify the image size on these pages and you are choosing a different size than the actual images. This causes the images to display poorly. You should either resize the images to match what you have stated in your html, or just not specify a size and let it display as it will.

For example on the third image you display the image like this:
          compare the image diplayed on page:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/commercial..._install3.html
          to this:

Note the difference in the edges of the stones and the forno bravo logo...

Again, this is pretty picky, but it helps improve image display...
          Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

interesting to see the different areas of expertise of some of the regulars here. It's out of my area of expertise so I have nothing to contribute (other than appreciation for a beautiful wood oven)

Comment

Thanks to everybody for this group editing session. Proofreading in a public forum. Thanks! I will get right on these.

Drew, great catch. I build the pages around a 480px wide photo, changed my mind, and batch edited the photos to 600px, but forgot to change the html pages, so they did the expansion themselves -- with an imperfect result. I can easily fix that. Thanks.

On the oven itself, we are excited about the oven design and the quality. Now, it's up to FB to do an equally good job of marketing and get the word out. Thanks for the positive comments on the oven.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

special plastic cement

Hello James,

very instructive series of pics from the Modena - I got some useful ideas from it...

What exactly is the "special plastic cement" you mention? Is it the premixed refractory cement used to thinly mortar the firebricks in the Pompeii dome together? (I was told by my supplier that the joint should be 1 rpt 1! to 3 mm thick at most!)

Ciao,

Carioca
                "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

[QUOTE=Since Modena is known for it's balsamic vinegar you might want to suggest balsamic oven as a nickname

Ciao,

Marcel[/QUOTE]

We went to a food festival last weekend, and I had 50 year old Balsamic vinegar. What a treat. They sold 1 yr, 2 yr, 4 yr, 8 yr, 12 yr, 25 yr and 50 yr old vingar and it was all incredible. There is no going back -- and we are hooked using the 4 year old vinegar every day. The vinegar get thicker as it get older from evaporation, and they put it in a smaller barrel using a different type of wood ever few years; the best vinegar sees 7 types of wood. The flavors complete change with age -- and it nothing like the supermarket Balsamico. Worth looking for. It's like great olive oil, Caputo flour or great tomatoes; it costs a little more, but you use it is such small quantities that it's an affordable luxury item. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I've tried making vinegar at home, but it is nothing like this.

We are going to Modena to meet with the "Modena" oven producer in January, and I will see if I can do a balsamic cave tour and take some pictures.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                  X