gas vs. electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas vs. electric

Any thoughts on deck ovens? Electric or gas? Electric seems to get hotter. I want a hot deck oven to simulate what a wood fire might do. I do feel more comfortable with gas just because thats what I am used to. I can not install Wood fired in my location and need an alternitive. Any body got any thoughts on the electric or gas pizza deck ovens?

Re: gas vs. electric

Originally posted by rock dude View Post
    I want a hot deck oven to simulate what a wood fire might do.
    There is no simulation to a wood fired oven....
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
      If that's what you have to do check with our host Forno have a proper gas conversion with all the safety bits that should stop you oven from becoming an air/fuel bomb.
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

The Blackstone oven can match the results of a wood fired oven- but only for pizza. It's not really viable for bread or for other tall objects.

Comment

Thanks guys. The commercial electric ovens, such as Bakers Pride and Pizza Master get up to 800 degrees. Any body have restaurant experience with these or other electric deck ovens? I am looking for HOT!

Comment

In my opinion you can only go so hot with a deck oven and have it be practical, no matter what oven you have. The fact is a deck oven has a door across the entire front that needs to opened to turn a pizza. With a Neapolitan pizza this would be a deal breaker, you are going to load the pizza, turn it atleast 3 times while it bakes 60 seconds and then take it out. That means you are opening the door 5 times per minute just to do one pie at a time. Not only is that a logistical oven management issue, it is also going to greatly impede your ability to keep the oven at those temperatures over a long day.

Once you get under a 3 minute bake or so an oven with a door that needs to be closed just won't work for commercial use. That probably equates to 700-750F.

Comment

In a deck oven I realize that I will not be baking a 3 minute or less pizza. Probably a 5 minute pie. Marsal Ovens claim that pies do not need to be turned in their deck ovens. Their brick lining keeps things even. I would presume in most deck ovens, a maximum of one turn should do the job. I don't expect to get a true Neopolitan pie out of this. I do want to get a great pizza! My question still is, which deck oven would preform the best? Electric, Gas, Stone/brick lined etc. Are there any users out there who have an experienced opinion?

Comment

I have run BP gas deck ovens for years, mine had Faux stone as hearth. You will maintain around 500 to 550 easily (though costly) higher temps not feasible. The sheet metal cabinet simply won't retain the heat. You could add fire brick around the perimeter, may help. Easy to run, pretty good crust results, used ovens are not that expensive and easy to rebuild (gas controls).
                You can gas fire a brick oven...consider that. See my WFO build here in "commercial" my thread is the "81 inch first build"...
                Trying to learn what I can about flours, fermentation and flames...

My 81 inch first build; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ost-11354.html

My 52 inch mobile; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ing-20874.html

our FB page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artys...20079718042660

Comment

I suggest moving to another state....then build a wood fired oven.

Comment

Are you sure they are not permitted? There is another thread on this forum about whether or not permits are required in WA. One train of thought is that WFO's are classified as outdoor barbeque's, which are allowed.

If smoke is the main concern, there are techniques for significantly reducing the amount of smoke generated....

Comment

get a Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
                        get a Vulcan
                        I didnt know Mr Spock cooked pizzas?
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by rock dude View Post
                          Thanks guys. The commercial electric ovens, such as Bakers Pride and Pizza Master get up to 800 degrees. Any body have restaurant experience with these or other electric deck ovens? I am looking for HOT!
                          If you want an electric oven, check out "Sveba Dahlen" I am using their "Classic Pizza" model until I can get a Gas/Wood Forno-Bravo oven in here, and find an insurer to sign off on it.

Comment

I suggest moving to another state....then build a wood fired oven
                            Wood-fired ovens are permitted in WA. Last month my wife and I ate at The Rock (The Rock Wood Fired Pizza & Spirits) restaurant in Federal Way, which boasted two wood-fired ovens (one for standard pizzas and a separate one for gluten free and vegetarian). Hanging out by the main oven, I had all of my questions graciously answered by a young pizzaiolo who even drug out a 50lb bag of their 'house' flour for me to peruse. (The label said 'Packed for the Rock Restaurants' and didn't say what kind of flour it was).

The most interesting explanation of the main oven's operation was that the dome was wood-fired while the one-piece floor was heated underneath via gas.

Of course, I had to order the California Dreamin' pie (a white pizza with chicken, fresh pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, garlic and mozzarella), and IMHO, the crust was not as good as what I get from 750-800F-cooked pies made at home.

Perhaps you can research WFO permits in the state, and if possible, go the WFO route. As Brickie says, I don't think you can simulate a real woofer.

Comment

again...build a brick oven and fire it with gas if you can't do wood..
                              Trying to learn what I can about flours, fermentation and flames...

My 81 inch first build; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ost-11354.html

My 52 inch mobile; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ing-20874.html

our FB page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artys...20079718042660

Comment

Working...
                              X