Wood-Fired Pizza To Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood-Fired Pizza To Go

I think this is a great idea for a business -- a wood-fired pizza to go and delivery only restaurant. I've seen quite a few of them in villages where there are tourists and enough locals to keep them very busy. They do delivery on motor scooters, where the pizzas are stored on a rack in back.

The pizza chef in this photo has a cordless head set on, where he is taking orders by phone and cooking at the same time. There was a good line.

You only need a small space, so rent is low -- and pizza is a pretty high profit margin item.... Someone should do this.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Wood-Fired Pizza To Go

I'd be worried about the quality of the pie after any length of time in the delivery box. Does anyone have any experience with delivering these types of pizzas? How well does a Neapolitan style crust hold up in the box?

Comment

JRo,
      Are you building a commercial oven and starting a restaurant? I've had my share a wood-fired pizza on boxes. It isn't the same as eating it in the pizzeria (or even better from one of Alf or Joseph's trailer ovens) -- but it beats the alternatives. We have two daughters, and there are times when you want a good pizza (in a hotel room or rental house), but you don't want to eat in a restaurant.

Tell us more. I still like this idea.
      James
      Last edited by james; 05-07-2007, 01:15 PM.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'm thinking about adding an oven at home, but I'm also working on a business plan for a commercial venture. The only reason I brought this up is that is a question I have been asking myself lately.

The place I am looking at has a built in clientele (condos), and I was thinking it would be OK to deliver within the development, but was concerned that any deliveries outside of the walking distance would suffer in quality.

My current favorite local Neapolitan place sends their 'doggie bags' home in a clear plastic container. The pizza has the consistency of wet cardboard when it comes out of there. Just working thru issues in my head...

Comment

Motor scooter and a thermal pizza box?
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I am also worried about how a neapolitan crust will hold up in those thermal boxes. If they are in there for a moderate length of time, the crust gets steamed and very chewy...we have to keep our delivery to a very tight radius from our store. We don't have wood ovens in our current store, but will in our new one. The wood oven delivery will be a challenge - but it will obviously be a lot better than pizza hut.

I think VPN specs even make some comment that the pizza should be eaten immediately.

Jay

Comment

Jay,
              It's true they specifically say that you cannot deliver real Pizza Napoletana. It stops being a real Pizza Napoletana the moment to goes out the front door. But we are talking about a wood-fired pizza delivered (or to go) compared with Dominos, not Ciro di Santa Brigida. :-)

There is a huge amount of wood-fired pizza delivered and To Go here. Huge. Just about every pizzeria that has a wood-fired oven does Pizza To Go, even the nice restaurants, and they do a very large volume.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Someone should do this? Fornobravo pizzeria anyone? It's already branded.

Comment

Pizzeria Brava?
                  It's crossed my mind. :-) At least I would always know where to get a good pizza.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

We are definitely going to do delivery - but we are keeping a tight radius. Prosciutto e Rucola does not travel well!

But James you are right...I'll take a delivered wood-oven pizza vs. pizza hut any day of the week.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                      Jay,
                      It's true they specifically say that you cannot deliver real Pizza Napoletana. It stops being a real Pizza Napoletana the moment to goes out the front door.

James
                      *emphasis mine

You can do it - it's just such a darn pain to drag the oven to the guy's house....

Okay, leaving now....
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

i know a guy in paris , being from europe , italy , that bakes 500 pizza a day to go . don't use wood . here in europe it is against the law to use wood ovens anymore, only in the trailers . for health and safety reasons . you will find out that his pizza , all thin crust are gourmet pizza and do okay , even after being delivered with scooters .
                        in europe , they deliver only with scooters.
                        i presume , in the usa , this won't take long, the price of the gas being too expensive to drive a car .
                        everybody should learn from that.
                        plus he has a samll store 200 square feet.
                        that make an average of 6000 euros a day.
                        beat that in the usa with labor and everyhting /
                        works with his daughter and wife. and take orders over the phone with a ear piece and bake at the same time .
                        i think the pizza business in the usa needs a serious make up.
                        becaue more profits are going by the windows .
                        too many employees , too much waste etc...

Comment

Angel,

What do you mean that the ovens are outlawed? God please say it ain't so
                          Is this the same guy in the photos that James originally posted?

See below.
                          That seems like wood fire in the oven.

Thx,
                          Roberto

Comment

i was referring to wood-ovens. unless you use the grand father law. like you already had a wood oven restaurant before the law was in existance. all new restaurants, except outside trucks like ambulant commerce selling pizza on a parking lot , must comply and use only gas or electric ovens .
                            to be honest , i used to really think wood ovens were the thing . today with better equipment , i would use it only because , we went back in the past and had no other choice. a total waste and ecologically , burning wood is not what i call environment friendly . we are too many on this planet not to be conscious of that . and the inconsistancy of baking with wood , is not worth the trouble. for the charcoil flavor. i can do better with an electric oven and the right products fumicata etc.....

Comment

Uh, wich law would this be refering to? Is this only for commercial ovens or WFOs in general? And which parts of Europe?

Sorry for all the questions, but this subject would tend to be of great interest here and I never heard anything about it before.

As for baking with wood or in an electrical oven, I think most of us here have both and are in a good position to compare the two. I personally find it completely different and get far better results with wood fired cooking.

I have read that heating (and cooking) with wood, when sensibly used and with oecologically harvested wood, is in fact better than oil or gas, as its a renewable energy source. Each tree releases as much CO2 when burned as it absorbed while it was growing.
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                              X