Building a Gas Italian Pizza Oven in Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Gas Italian Pizza Oven in Asia

Hi Everybody, I am an Italian /American ex G.I. living in the Philippines. This month I am opening "Papa Italiano's Pizza / Bakery & Pasta". I thought the Home Depot type stores here would be like back Home, ......NOT!....... We do have Fire Brick and regular nice bricks here & sand & Portland cement.( I should be thankful ) I wanted to do the Pumice /Cement mix to make a Light Portable Dome, then brick the front & fire brick inside, but they don't have Ground Pumice here or anything like that here. a little "FRUSTRATED", but ok we have OPTIONS. Anyway I need to figure out something quick as we are opening our shop this month, and to buy a regular pizza oven is out of the question, I am NOT a Bank, The rest of the bakery equipment & fridge is costing enough! so what can I do ? I want to try and build something simple as the Forno Oven in the Picture enclosed here in this post, they have the nice outside brick here & the fire brick, I just did not want a dome that weighted like 5 tons in case we have to move, and I need it to be Gas,as wood here is really expensive, all they have is coconut charcoal and that may be an option ? what do you think ! But Gas is Cleaner ! So with Gas I don't believe I need a chimney... do I ?.... WE have the front wide open for ventilation. and a commercial Ventilation fan. I am hoping someone can help me to figure this out. PLEASE! Thank you in advance, you can contact me "Marcello" at my e-mail addy ; Chileloco4@hotmail.com.

Papa Italiano,
    I happened to have a gas brick oven that I am reconstructing to a steel one. Many of the design consoderations you point at are handled in my thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...teel-one/page1
    I once thought that a gas oven doesn't need a vent so my gas oven did not have one but working with the oven was awkward and being an indoor one was quite messy. I think you still need a vent for a gas one.
    I used the extractor fan but it was taking the precious heat out of the oven. I learned that I could get by without by adhering to the golden ratio and by a sufficiently wide vent.
    If it were mine and I wanted it portable I would go steel and clad it with refractory. That is stronger and lighter than just refractory. I would not use pumice for dome construction; it is more like an insulator than like a heatholding material.
    Be careful with gas, it is dangerous and I once was bombarded with warnings from forum members when I discussed gas. My new design is more fitted for wood but still able to be fitted with a gas burner.
    Last edited by v12spirit; 02-10-2016, 08:04 AM.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

Marcello,

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't, take a look at Lancer's Phillipine Build.... It may give you some ideas for sourcing oven materials and fuels in your area. I am going to include a link to Lancer . Placing the @ in front of the members name should notify him that he was mentioned in a post. I do think that you will need a chimney/flue to directly vent those hot gasses from the oven. Also, I think that forming your oven with a light castable material will cause it to underperform. Maybe the discussions from some of the trailer/portable oven builds will help you on the portability issue. Also, here is a recent discussion on using gas in a WFO.

I hope this helps.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

This topic is going to be moved to the Commercial Pizza Ovens topic of the Pizza Oven Design and Installation area of the Forum for better visibility and community involvement.
        Forno Bravo

Comment

Hey Papa, I'm glad to help any way I can. My thread is linked by Gulf above, and I live on Bohol which is not that far away by SuperCat. There's a source here for red clay, silicate, fire bricks, I even found cooked lime in a lime wash product that I've used in its place. Built a kiln but couldn't seem to get the temps high enough with coconut coal. I'll be in Cebu in about 38ish days to pick up my new permanent resident card. We get picked up by my wife's family there and after we do our stuff at immigration we go out and eat somewhere. If you like maybe we can get together. Otherwise just check the thread above for all the info I've listed since I began this project.
          Last edited by Lancer; 02-10-2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I got pumice on Camiguin Island which is on the other side of Bohol from Cebu. 38 cement sacks of the stuff form the base of the oven and that provides structure to support the floor the dome is built on as well as insulation as well as perlite which is sourced from Luzon and available at Malmes (sp) hardware on Bohol,

Comment

Working...
            X