Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Oven - Modena2g: Soot Build-up

Greetings,

Within the past year i have been the main operating cook and now current manager for a Pizza station at a local restaurant running a Modena2g gas burning oven.
    Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on the oven in particular, but I am quickly learning and trying to learn more about proper maintanence and upkeep of this particular oven.

As of late, we have been having issues with extreme soot build-up on interior roof and walls, and as a result minor soot staining on the interior floor of the oven, inconsistant/unpredictable running temperatures, and obvious cleanliness issues. I am noticing more fluctuating temperatures at times and extremely rare "flame fail" indications. I have been reading all of the manufacture specifications on proper maintanence and cleaning; as well, have been reading user comments on how to clean soot and general upkeep using rising temperatures, but would like more direct, specific, and appropriate information for our particular oven.

Our operating specifications are as follows and has not been modified by anyone since initial professional instillation:
    Maximum running temp (SP2?): 610F
    Minimum temp (SP2 Reignition?): 600F
    As far as I can tell (SP1?) ignition: 580F
    Average hours of continuous operation: ~12-15 Hours

Within recent months my Kitchen Manager/Head Chef has been recommending that during close the oven be turned off and left uncapped to allow cooling before using our provided unhinged metal cap to close/cap the oven for heat retention over the night. My initial trainer suggested that the oven switch be turned to the middle position allowed fo sit for a second, cap be placed inside the oven, then turned fully to the off position for proper shutdown procedure; thus locking in all the heat and causing the oven to reach high enough temperatures to completely irradicate any soot or debris build-up (~900F). However, this causes several complications and worries for my Kitchen Manager, he feels that when reigniting (turning on) the oven in the morning that it is at too high of an operating temperature (650F-700F) and also has issues removing the metal cap as it has sealed to the oven either by Negative Air Flow or through extreme temperatures.

I am curious, prior to contacting and paying the appropriate business/contractor to come and perform regular maintanence on our oven, if there are any recommendations on how to remove soot build-up, how to prevent the oven door from being so impossibly hard to remove the following morning, and whether or not our shutdown procedure is correct.

Thank you in advance, I'm just trying to get a greater understanding of the functionality of these ovens and how to properly care for/maintain them as I work this particular equipment roughly 40+ Hrs a week.

Pictures of our oven provided.

Sincerely,
    PizzaCook93

Sounds to me like you're not running the oven hot enough. Pizzas should cook in 2 mins when the temp is right. Smoke/soot is unburnt fuel and when the oven is at proper pizza temp all the black burns away. If your burner is burning with a lot of yellow flame that is also an indication of an over rich mixture which can result in unburnt fuel and therefore soot build up. The oven mouth should also be wide open and not partially closed with the oven door. This allows plenty of air for combustion.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have a wood-fired Professionale 120 (48" diameter). Regardless of whether you keep the door on or off overnight, you will continue to have that (IMHO) minimal amount of soot buildup. I start my fire towards the front of the oven and slowly push it to the center then back once my ceiling/dome clears. The active ignition is what is causing the soot. When I burn wood, it creates smoke which lines the dome & side walls and not until the walls & dome are above 700F does my oven burn clear. I do have some soot towards the entry to my oven and sides but I constantly move my fire. I,m just curious how large your gas flame is & how it burns constantly. I'm assuming it is controlled by thermostat and eventually your side walls & dome clear but you will always have start-up soot from initial combustion.

Comment

Also, if you are concerned about the initial start temp being too high, maybe you should bake bread to help lower the oven temp or try roasting some meats overnight and really put the free heat to good use.

Comment

Working...
        X