Gas-fired ovens for pizzeria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas-fired ovens for pizzeria

New guy here, looking for some info on ovens (obviously).... I have never really worked with wood-fired ovens before but I have been using your standard gas deck ovens for about 20 years in my pizza place. Thinking of opening a new place but I want more of that old school taste/feel/vibe with the wood-fired ovens... I understand there are ovens that basically are gas-fired but have the look and taste (to some extent) of the wood-fired ovens... can anyone tell me how I can learn more about these types of ovens? Thanks in advance!

Re: Gas-fired ovens for pizzeria

Hello and welcome,

Forno Bravo sells gas fired and gas/wood combo commercial ovens. You need to talk to the forum moderator: James. I'm sure he'll jump in here and take over.

In the meantime here's a link to his commercial oven page:
    Commercial Pizza Ovens | Gas and Wood Fired Pizza Ovens for Restaurants
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Welcome to the world of Wood Fired Ovens, When you cook in a wood fired oven and can cook a pizza in 90 seconds or less. why would want to use gas? I have seen a lot of gas ovens and their pizza is no differant than what you make in a deck oven. you can not get the same flavor out of a gas oven. It may be easer to use but once you use wood, you won't want gas. If you want to use gas to help in pre-heat thats great, But you said it was for a resturant, after the first day your pre heat time is about 15 min. why fight with the building dept and fire dept. Just go with wood.

Comment

Pizzamanmike,
        You make some good points... I guess I am just hesitant since I have never really used wood-fired ovens although I know a lot of the positives they provide. I didn't realize that preheating would only take 15 mins or so... thats definitely a lot less than I anticipated which is a huge plus- I figured it would take a few hours and the gas would help in that department but if its really just 15 mins or half hour even, thats really not bad. I guess I need to learn more, thanks for the response!

Comment

I'm not so sure about a 15 min preheat for a commercial size wood burning oven. I have cooked pizza two days in a row before in my oven. After the oven was closed up for the night, it took an hour or so to get it back up to speed the next afternoon. It was definitely faster to heat up, but no where near 15 minutes.

I think Forno Bravo's wood/gas combo oven would be a perfect set up for a restaurant.

Also, James has said his ovens are UL certified. I think with a proper installation, the building permit would be a piece of cake.

James, What say you??
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

FYI,
            I run my oven 12 + hours and in the am I pull the hot coals foward, throw 3 logs on and in 15 min or so I am making breakfast pizza and can start making regular at the same time, although the regular pizza takes about 4 min. instead of 90 seconds or less. The UL listing is good But they want to see the NSF label.
            also are the oven decks fired or just made of Refractory? I have no problem getting my istalled unit approved, mobile, resturant or house
            Mike
            ( I have installed ovens for the last 4 years accross the country using many differant oven importers including Forno Bravo's Casa's and Brick ovens)

Comment

Originally posted by PIZZAMANMIKE View Post
              FYI,
              I run my oven 12 + hours and in the am I pull the hot coals foward, throw 3 logs on and in 15 min or so I am making breakfast pizza and can start making regular at the same time, although the regular pizza takes about 4 min. instead of 90 seconds or less. The UL listing is good But they want to see the NSF label.
              also are the oven decks fired or just made of Refractory? I have no problem getting my istalled unit approved, mobile, resturant or house
              Mike
              ( I have installed ovens for the last 4 years accross the country using many differant oven importers including Forno Bravo's Casa's and Brick ovens)
              Hi Mike,

Good to know that you have had no problems with approvals, which was one of my fears for a commercial space. What with all of the talking heads rambling on about global warming this and global warming that, you just never know when they will ban things.
              I plan on opening on the east coast in the near future, probably later rather than sooner because of $.
              What can I expect to invest in a moderately sized oven for a 1200 square foot place?

Comment

Just piggy-backing off of figlio's comment about approvals- is anyone familiar with the process in NY? I am sure it won't be easy to get done although not sure what to expect

Comment

I guess I should of posted instead of a pm. All of our Health Dept rules change from state to state and county to county. The building codes are just about the same. On a scale of 10 , NYC would be an 8 and Long Island would be a 6 and Upstate NY would be a 4. No matter where I go to install ovens, My first call is to Health Dept.

Comment

Originally posted by PIZZAMANMIKE View Post
                    I guess I should of posted instead of a pm. All of our Health Dept rules change from state to state and county to county. The building codes are just about the same. On a scale of 10 , NYC would be an 8 and Long Island would be a 6 and Upstate NY would be a 4. No matter where I go to install ovens, My first call is to Health Dept.
                    Mike,

Do you mean 10 as in most difficult? I work in NYC, but live in NJ.
                    Brick, NJ as a matter of fact [appropriate eh?]

My parents used to operate Hero shops in NYC, back in the days. I don't recall my father complaining too much about anything other than the Health Dep't being stringent. But my family was fanatically clean so he never had problems.

Comment

That would be correct, While on your hunt for location, check for a grease trap, could become an issiue down the road

Comment

Working...
                      X