How to gain experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to gain experience?

I am currently doing a ton of research on opening a napoletana style pizzeria. My main concern is gaining the experience necessary to consistently make good pizza. I am going to take the one week course in Los Angeles, but after that how would I practice? Has anyone purchased a cheaper wood fired oven to practice with before opening a pizzeria? Thanks for any advice.

Re: How to gain experience?

I don't know of any cheap Wood Fired Ovens, and I do not recall see any used wood fired ovens for sale cheap or for sale at all.
    I bought a Forno Bravo Casa 80 about 4 years ago, I practiced in it for about 6 months, learned a lot, hands on is better than any school or book. I now have a few mobile trailers with the FB Casa 100's on them and will be building my first resturant in AZ. and it will have two FB Casa 110's in it. I SAY SKIP SCHOOL AND PUT AN OVEN IN YOUR BACKYARD AND PRACTICE.

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Pizzamanmike, I'm considering using one of Forno Brava Casa ovens for a trailer set-up too. Given your experience, is the 100 the size you would recommend buying? Any other advive on building on a trailer - we're in Western Canada so no threat!

Comment

Peterlyn,
          The Case 90 is best for a Catering Trailer, I just did a Fundraiser for the United Way and we put out over 200 8" pies in 2 hours. On a Mobile unit I would go witgh A Casa 100 or 110 as yuo would sell slices and 16" pies.
          I will help you anytime just shoot me an email.
          pizzamanmike

Comment

Peterlyn,
            The mobile oven I got through Joseph at The Fire Within is the Premio 100. That has bee a good size for my needs. As pizzamanmike stated, I have also been able to push about 200 8" pizzas in about 2 hours at some local vending events we have been doing.

Comment

i built my oun because thats me, but for six months i made pizzas and gave them to an orfanage. a year later still learning, but customers understand. my worst is still far above above a modern oven.

if you want you can work my oven on a weekend. im in iowa

Comment

Um, it is possible to make a very inexpensive oven in only a few days. If all you want to do is practice, why not make a cob/clay oven? All you need is clay, straw and sand - none of which cost much.

I'm planning on building a cob oven (as soon as I own my own place... sigh) so I've done a lot of reading. I can post a few links if you like. Also, if you can track down the back issue, Grit did an article with instructions about it back in October.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

One part of the job is making the dough and building the pizza. The other part is building the fire, heat management and cooking pizza's in the WFO.

I know that another member, CJ provides a cooking school near Toronto that includes making Pizza and cooking in a WFO.

Also, there is an ebook for free from the FB store.

Good Luck
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I like your answer bro pizzamikeman.. i think it's the useful of the topic here.
                    Pizza Lieferservice

Lieferservice Nürnberg

Comment

If you can find a WFO pizzaeria in your area,,, go in and ask to intern ?? part time job etc..

Practice makes perfect...

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

How much time do you have...are you currently working to support yourself...what is your startup budget and reserves? I come from a business/ self employed background, have had 2 pizzarias and fought my way into a market...besides knowing how to run your ovens, make dough and develop a product, you must handle the financial end....that's where most businesses fail.
                        Can you go to work for your local competitor to see how much business there is available? Will the pizza shop be your main source of income? I don't expect you to answer these questions here, just making sure you know the answers yourself. I want to see every small business succeed !

all the best,
                        Roger
                        Trying to learn what I can about flours, fermentation and flames...

My 81 inch first build; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ost-11354.html

My 52 inch mobile; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ing-20874.html

our FB page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artys...20079718042660

Comment

Pizzamikeman
                          My goal is to have a mobile oven ,probably a FB 100 or 110.
                          Any sugestions on the sanitation " hot and cold water" I could use a portible power generator for power .
                          Thanks for any info

Comment

You can buy an over the side water heater but you'll need a metal or ceramic sink (or equivalent) to use it (pickle buckets need not apply - bad, bad things happen).
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                            [/CENTER]

Comment

I would use the casa2g model 100 also I am working on a proto type with heating the water using the oven heat, also keep in mind you will have to add fresh and grey water tanks and a pump.
                              pizzamanmike

Comment

Working...
                              X