Mobile Oven in Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Oven in Action

Here are a few pics of our mobile catering oven in action...

Re: Mobile Oven in Action

It all looks good!
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

I like that set-up a lot. Over the last few weeks have been pondering the idea of opening a pizza joint in a few years. I am now modifying that thought to thinking doing events/catering on the occasional basis might be the better way to go, so I'm not so "tied down".

Interesting stuff....
      alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss".
      - Pete Townshend

Comment

I'd like to see some pictures of the whole shebang in operation. How do you store your foodstuffs? Refrigeration. Sanitation. Water - Hand washing / 3 sink. Electrical. Service area. Weather canopy. Garbage containment. You know. Stuff.

Thanks!

Comment

You forgot cashbox, condiments and staging...

Inquiring minds want to know...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

OK - here are a few answers...I will try to get some pics. I own a restaurant so we use that as the commissary kitchen for prep and storage...so that solves a big headache. As of now, we are only catering private events and we are not doing fairs and festivals for the general public. As a result, that also eliminates the need for a true 3 compartment sink, cashbox, etc. A private event for invited guests gets you off the hook for a lot of things. That being said, for festivals you can apply for a temporary health permit which lets you use the bare minimum for hand washing and sanitation (basically a bucket of warm water and another bucket to catch waste, and 3 tubs for sanitation - wash, rinse, and sanitize). Condiments for pizza are easy - a couple of shakers.

I have a silver king refrigerated prep rail (for toppings) mounted on a 5ft stainless steel table with wheels. I also have a piece of marble mounted on the front of the table for pizza shaping.

All of the stuff that is not in the prep rail is stored in coolers on ice. The biggest challenge has been the dough trays...but I may start keeping dough balls in plastic baggies and throwing them in coolers.

Weather canopy is a 10X10 pop up from target. Electrical is a honda 2000 watt suitcase generator. Trailer has tons of storage for wood, tables, tools, etc underneath.

Biggest problem I have is when i have to back the thing up.

I have all my photos posted on flickr at:

Flickr: il cane rosso's Photostream

My mobile oven site is ilcanerosso.com

I am going to open another restaurant - but wanted to start with some catering.

Comment

Coolness!

I won't be able to see the pics until Monday (stupid dial up) but I definitely plan to check them out.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Just checked out your Flickr photo album...SWEET!!! I mean that literally. Until now I have not been a dessert pizza guy (seems most everyone does some sort of fruit). I'm sold on the Smores calzone...a good ole dessert favorite - in a calzone. Has me thinking of a few more chocolatey treats.....What about a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup? (my only concern being oil separation in the peanut butter from the high heat)......what the heck, its worth a try.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                  Just checked out your Flickr photo album...SWEET!!! I mean that literally. Until now I have not been a dessert pizza guy (seems most everyone does some sort of fruit). I'm sold on the Smores calzone...a good ole dessert favorite - in a calzone. Has me thinking of a few more chocolatey treats.....What about a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup? (my only concern being oil separation in the peanut butter from the high heat)......what the heck, its worth a try.

RT
                  The PB in peanut butter cups is mixed with confectioner's sugar (usually 50-50 by volume). It will tolerate baking in pastry (cookies, to be exact) at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or so perfectly well. High heat for a short duration should be no problem.

There's a recipe for the cookies on the package of Pillsbury Peanut Butter Cookie Dough. 1/2 cup PB + 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar yields enough to fill 24 average size cookies.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Jay,
                    Those are great pictures!! I think I need to come to Texas and have you teach me how to make mozz as that is something I have always wanted to do. As far as our county out here in California, we have done a couple "festival" type events and the event organizer is the one who gets the health permit to cover the whole event. Then as vendors we need to supply information to the organizer (that gets turned around to the county) about what we are serving, booth setup diagram, how we intend to keep food within proper temp ranges and such. I have had the health dept show up at one of these events and the did inspect me and only dinged me on my 3 compartment sink..which consisted of 3 home depot buckets. They were fine with the buckets but said the "sinks" need to be big enough to wash your largest utensil and my wooden pizza peels would not fit in the buckets. I tried to explain that I would not wash my peels that way and they said too bad. So I got a little health department "fix it ticket". I probably could have argued my point a bit more, but with Murphy's Law they showed up right when we were getting slammed and I decided not to take the time to argue.

Comment

hello. I'm new here but not so new to making pizza. I am planning on building an oven in a bus, one of hose half school buses. I am already aware that a mobile oven has been done since Pompeii or so, but I still have a few questions.

Is there any worry of the vehicle's movement causing any damage to the oven? Are there any considerations I should know about that are different from an oven in the back yard? I want to build and not buy a pre-fab, but mostly because I want to build for its own sake. Any caveats against that? Does it make a difference?

And what's keeping you from doing festivals and the like? That's precisely what I mean to get into. Is it just the health dept. thing or the extra $$ because of the health dept. reg's?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn more. Meanwhile thanks for all everyone has done so far. This stuff is great! Have a great '09, all. Mangiamo!

Comment

Here are a few pictures from an event I did in downtown Dallas last night. Our restaurant was named a top ten new restaurant by the Dallas Morning News and they had a reception/wine competition. We were invited to do our signature dish - so I rolled the oven out and we did about 50 pizzas in 90 minutes. It was a huge hit and a huge spectacle...a lot of heavyweight Dallas chefs were amazed at the oven. It was a ton of fun.

Comment

Looks Great!!

Thats a great prep table. Was that custom made??

Comment

Jay - that looks fantastic!

Comment

Custom prep table..by me! Stainless steel prep table from restaurant supply @ $200, SilverKing prep rail (thanks to suggestion from telehort!)@ $1000, and 18X60" slab marble @ $150. Works great...wheels in and out of the storage area of the oven..I can do 3 pizzas at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X