Mobile Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Oven

so I just finished my oven a few months ago and I cannot get the thought of a mobile oven out of my head!

does anyone have some insight on the construction of one of these ovens?

I was thinking as follows...

a Precast 42 inch dome

steel constructed stand

2 axle trailer?
    I was thinking a 2 axle trailer for the high weight capacity so I could put heavy coolers with drinks, firewood, toppings, dough tables ect.

But now that I see the smaller trailer it seems more possible since I have a full sized truck (and a single axle trailer would be pretty cheap)

any suggestions or tips and hints?

thanks!

Matty

Re: Mobile Oven

are you looking to build one yourself or purchase one?
    There are many examples of mobile ovens on the forum that people have built or that some of us have purchased.

Comment

I want to build it myself

Comment

Go for a tandem axle with rocker suspension rather than the cheaper slipper spring suspension.
        I have had ski boats for over 35 years and I always build this trailer set-up for safety and best ride possible. When you go over a speed hump, spoon drain or poor road, the rocker suspension shares the load and prevents bounce of the load. I also build all trailers with hydraulic over ride disk brakes for peace of mind when stopping (but they only need to be on the front axle, but check with your motor licencing/registration department).
        Calculate the maximum expected load and match your springs to have a little spare weight up your sleeve, but don't go overboard as it will stiffen up the ride and shake you oven unnecessaily.
        You should also incorporate shock absorbers if you plan on towing it considerable distance at a reasonable speed.

Rastys
        If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

thanks for the advice.

I had a few more questions...

On the other ovens I have seen, the face of the oven comes off of the side of the trailer. with a 42" oven and a 5 or 6 foot wide trailer, doesnt that give a significant inbalance of weight distribution? also what is done to connect the dome to the trailer ? they must use some sort of custom made steel stand coming out of the chassy, but as to connect the dome to that stand to prevent rollover on turns?

any other things im leaving out?

thanks again guys!

Comment

Matty,
            by placing your entrance on the side of the trailer, you can almost balance the weight of the dome evenly across the trailer chassis and also centre it over the point of balance on either a single or dual axle setup. You also reduce the depth that you need to reach to maintain your fire and access thye hearth, also leaving the rear trailer free access.
            As my camper trailer, I would incorporate swing out tailgates with fold down or permanent counters on them which also become plastic bin storage within them. With such a build, you need as much working for you with storage and convenience.
            To secure the dome to the trailer, well, a lot of planning and design manufacturing will be required.
            I personally would build a steel frame that can be moved along the trailer length (but not sideways) because it may then be even more versatile and be removed for whatever reason or be moved to suit trailer balance, or changes that may be deemed necessary later.
            i would also use insulating board over compressed cement sheeting (to keep the weight and height to a minimum), still use bricks but I would make steel straps clamping each course/chain and secured together. The first chain strap would be bolted through the insulating board and steel support frame. Four inches of thermal blanket capping the dome and a waterproof fibreglass blanket over that. All very lightweight with a good thermal mass, minimum thickness and weight, good efficiency for $$ value.
            I would also have stainless benches adjacent to the oven (front and back of trailer) with plenty of storage for 7 day ice boxes (or generator/fridge storage) wood storage etc.

Rastys
            If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

Working...
            X