Staining the dome? and chimney help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staining the dome? and chimney help

I am just about finished with the project and am having trouble coming up with a color I want paint the dome that will go with stone, brick and house. Has anyone tried staining their dome? Should I avoid b/c it may not work as well for protecting? All suggestions are appreciated!

Also, I thought that I would really like the look of the bare flue liner for the chimney, but now I think that it looks unfinished on my oven. Is there any way to cover it without adding bricks? I've noticed that it looks like some people add what looks like paint with texture, but wouldn't the liner get too hot for that?

Thanks so much for the help!

Claire

Re: Staining the dome? and chimney help

Your bare flue tile is going to get brutally hot. If it were me, I'd build up a box of your nice old brick around the tile, leaving a half inch space between the flue and the tile. It doesn't have to be as massive as your fireplace enclosure, but I'd try to match the details.

I wouldn't try to slather stucco on the flue. Even in the remote chance that it would stick, it still would be out of proportion.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks, Dmun! I needed to hear that. I agree that it would look better, but I am at the point now that I am just ready to stop with the construction!! But, having said that, I know that I would regret slapping something up there that would take away from the total look that took so long to accomplish.

By the way, I did end up using flue liners for the smoke chamber--I just had to make more cuts since I needed it to be much larger. It came out really well!

Thanks so much for all of your help with my project!!

Comment

any answers on concrete staining as opposed to stucco? im still deciding myself

Comment

Not much. I did put up the stucco and was considering staining the dome rather than painting it. I did purchase the stain, but have not put it on yet. I do think that it will work just fine, I just have been more in cooking mode lately. . .

Comment

Claire,
            another solution would be to use vermicrete around the flue tile, then stucco over the vermicrete. This will insulate your flue tile, reducing tendency for it to crack, leave you with a cooler outside stucco and be much lighter than a brick surround. Bear in mind that extra weight on top of the arch is creating extra stress.
            Dave
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

hello, czaun b2! Can you post some pix of your chimney? We're currently working on the same project that you did last year, and I would want to see how your chimney turned out. Thanks!
              stucco houston

Comment

Claire,

I have an igloo oven also and for my chimney I wrapped the flue in Roxul insulation and then formed around, poured concrete and stoccoed (?)over it. For a final outer coating check out Coronado elastomeric paints, they are made for stucco and have some elasticity to them to prevent cracking, hence the name. The thing I liked about it was I could get any color in the Coronado color chart. It has been 2 yrs now and the paint has held great and with the insulated flue I have had no thermal issues with the paint.

John

Comment

Working...
                X