X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the stone right off our land

We decided to get the stone from our farm and it looks great
    and was one less thing to purchase
    We laid the stone for our outdoor kitchen but when it came to the oven we hired a professional
    Last edited by Lisha Sowder; 07-19-2010, 07:06 AM.

Re: Taking the stone right off our land

Same here. I feel that stone from the area adds a kind of authenticity to the oven

Comment

We feel the same way. But it took a while to pick up the rock
      We cooked our first Bison roast this weekend along with a peach cobbler and a few loves of bread. Love the Oven
      We talked about building a oven for at least two years. Wish we had done it sooner

Comment

My problem is not availability - there are lots, but to get the right ones does take time - you are right!

The Bison sounds nice. What is the taste like - beefish or more towards buck?

Comment

Buffalo is like beef with a little bit of sweet taste It is a healthy red meat

Comment

Thanks Lisha,
            In the eyes of many game meat sadly remains to be used only in dried format which we call Biltong and which I am told is Jerky in US terms (Yet a Boston friend of mine loves biltong & hates Jerky, so there must be some difference :-)). Although venison is getting slow but sure recognition here as a more healthy alternative, some people complain that it is a tad on the dry side. One of my theories and dreams for my oven is that with the WFO's cooking characteristics, this should not be a problem :-)

Comment

I have never had biltong but we love venison and bison jerky.Venison is our main meat in the freezer even our breakfast sausage. We have a local butcher that prepares our venison and he adds a littile beef fat to ground venison and little pork fat to the breakfast sausage this really helps with the moisture content altought it still can dry out if over cooked . Last fall we did our on jerky,sauasge links and hot dogs. My oldest son brought home elk this year and it was really good. The past three years we have enjoyed wild turkey for thanksgiving. and yes my family loves to hunt and eat there harvest.
              I am just learning to cook in our oven and have not tried the venison yet. but will soon
              Have a wonderful day

Comment

I have used some of my venison/pork (80/20) breakfast sausage on pizza and it was very good. I also used some buffalo Italian sausage on a couple. Both were excellent.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Cant wait for my oven to be finished so I can play along :-)

Comment

I will give both of them a try.
                    Have you cooked venison chilli or stew in your oven?
                    It would be great to get a thread on wild game recipes cooked in the oven
                    I was thinking of cooking a Buffalo Brisket and doing Ruben pizza .

Comment

No stews or chili yet, that will have to wait for 3 or 4 months until the temperature drops.

Comment

Working...
                      X