Doors: Insulating & Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doors: Insulating & Weather

I have and idea for an insulating door. Would this sandwich idea work?

Inside to Out:

Sheet metal, 2 1/2 inch insulating firebrick, some type of wood to be able to finish.

Any suggestions for a weatherproof outer door?, is it necessary?

Re: Doors: Insulating & Weather

From other posts I learned that a bolt right through will be a heat drain, so perhaps sink the heads of the bolts to tie one side into the insulation brick & again in the opposite direction, so there will not be a right-through bolt.
    Weatherproofing need will depend on how deep your entrance is I guess

Comment

Dolf,
      The thicker the bolts the more heat conducted through. Don't use galvanized- poison. I used 3/16" stainless steel bolts. They've worked well. Screws get too hot and char around the threads, then you lose adhesion.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sorry I should have also said that my door only weighs 2.5 Kgs and has one single handle for one handed operation, very useful when you have a peel and pizza in the other hand.Yes I sometimes put the door 1/2 way in when the sting has gone out of the oven and we're still cooking pizzas.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the stainless & especially the galvanised Dave!

Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly, so I will try with a picture :-)
          As per attached, I am suggeting bots that dont go right through & should thus not drain

Comment

Dolf,
            A clever idea. It will make it harder to put together and double the number of holes, reducing strength, but it might also work quite well. Give it a shot.

Comment

Tnx. Your comment re number of bolts & strenght is a valid one which I have not given enough thought. Especially since there will be multiple insulation bricks & thus so many more holes :-(

I will think some more :-)

Comment

Working...
              X