• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jo9t
    replied
    Re: Forno Bravo Door

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    Has anyone installed a port thru their door to stick a thermometer? Picture a 3-4mm SS tube thru the door with a threaded section sticking out so that you can screw threaded cap onto it.
    I haven't built my WFO yet but are going to have 2 stainless steel tubes in through the brick work so I can put a K type thermo couple. to measure the temp inside at 2 different points
    maybe I will try the door idea as well. Thanking you for the idea

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Yes it does, but on the other hand mild steel corrodes and is way more thermally conductive
    Hmmmm. WishI knew that before ordering my door. Thanks for the info. I'm wondering how effective a one-piece (3'16" SS) door would be, with an insulating 'jacket' (ceramic fiber) sewn into a hemispherical 2"-thick pad using welder's blanket?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Yes it does, but on the other hand mild steel corrodes and is way more thermally conductive.
    There is no reason that the door has to be the same metal front and back. Since most doors are two pieces anyway, put the mild steel to the oven side and the ss to the outside.

Just sayin'

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Yes it does, but on the other hand mild steel corrodes and is way more thermally conductive.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Um, my bad. I didn't catch that your door is SS. I went with steel because the fabrication shop said SS will warp easier than steel.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Careful with 304, it may rust or discolor

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

310 and 316 SS are typically non magnetic, 304 may be more prone to being magnetic if cold worked, ie bending or shaping. My two cents worth.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

John,
    I have seen magnets used on carbon steel smokers as easily adjustable intake air regulators. But, the magnet will not work on all ss. I'm not a metalurgist, so I had to go out to my shop and check. It seems that the magnet will work an extra piece of ss flu that I have. But, not on the ss drops that I picked up to make tools and possibly another door .
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Neat idea. I haven't seen anything like this but am considering something similar. Instead of a threaded cap (I'm too lazy to put it back on each time I check temp) I was thinking about sliding a refractory magnet over the hole. They're good to 480F.

McMaster-Carr

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Has anyone installed a port thru their door to stick a thermometer? Picture a 3-4mm SS tube thru the door with a threaded section sticking out so that you can screw threaded cap onto it.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    My first temperary door cracked as it was 2 pieces of hedel bolted to 2 x pieces of 10 mm ply ( didn't have one big enough piece of ply). Even cracked I'm still using it a year later in that condition. Mark 11 will be silasticed....no bolts and a little more give between the hebel and the face. A thicker face...less flex between the surfaces.... probably ply with a hardwood face. Finally what if it cracks again...what the heck....its only $8 of hebel....and hardly any effort to carve another. Oh before I forget 75mm (3in) hebel again it stoped the heat in Mk 1 only a little heat marks around the bolt holes... no charing. 75mm will protect the silastic as well.

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Moley
    replied

Hi David, I am planning to use the 75mm stuff.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

How thick is your Hebel? When I tried it the stuff cracked after a while. This happened twice so I gave up on Hebel. Mine was only one inch thick though.

Leave a comment:

• Moley
    replied

Thanks Dave
    I'll check it out. Best wishes from sunny Tassie

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Check out the "Tips" section I have built 2 doors from hebel both of which work well

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X