Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney/planning permission/neighbour complaint

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the following issue.

I live in the UK and I am in the process of building in my back garden (of a mid-terrace house) a pompei oven. Today i had a fire to burn out the wooden forms i had used to build the dome. There was a fair bit of smoke and in hindsight i should have probably said to my neighbour before i started so that they could have closed their kitchen window.

Nonetheless, about 10 mins after starting the fire he came round to tell my wife that i would have to change the chimney or something as it was putting smoke into his house. Why he didnt come into the back garden and speak to me i dont know (to date we get on fine).

I am going to speak to him to explain the reason for the amount of smoke and that the oven should only produce the same amount of smoke as a bbq under normal conditions, which we both have in the summer. However, due to the speed at which he decided to complain ( normally if someone is having a fire in their back garden we close our windows and wait until they are finished) is making me think that he has been annoyed by the existence of the oven and the smoke was an excuse.

So i was wondering, what is the situation regarding planning permission and the smoke the oven creates? Am i relying on the tolerance of my neighbours not to report me to the council? Or would the council tell him to grow up and let people live?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ross

Re: Chimney/planning permission/neighbour complaint

I think this is a problem in human relations. I think lots of good humor and pizza will help. A taller chimney is also a possibility, but even if it's two stories high, like mine, the smoke will sometimes blow down and about, depending on wind conditions. There was a recent thread on minimizing smoke: starting with a small, hot fire, and adding finely split really dry firewood will keep smoke to a minimum.

It's possible that burning out your forms may not have been the best test case. The wood may have been wet from the masonry, and being right up against it, it may not have had sufficient air for a clean fire.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi dmun,

thanks for the reply. At the time i hadn't thought about smoke as i was preconcerned about getting the forms out. School boy error.

I'll take round a bottle of vino tomorrow and have a wee chat with him. I think if he knew that the start up will only last 20 mins and that today's smoke doesn't represent what the oven will produce normally, then it should be fine.

Having said that, i also posted the same question on a UK site (Wood & Pizza Oven UK Forum :: Index) and have been informed that he cant do anything about it, under law, anyway. Apparently it is viewed on a similar status to a bbq.

Thanks again for the help, I'll certainly be trying that top down method!

Cheers Ross

Comment

I use a cheap electric heat gun to get mine fired up, when I turn the gun off to early there is smoke, when its on there is hardly any smoke.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

just one like this?

Earlex Heat Gun HG2000BQP1, 5016501001038

Do you just aim that at the wood/fire?

Comment

Originally posted by aeu99217 View Post
            just one like this?

Earlex Heat Gun HG2000BQP1, 5016501001038

Do you just aim that at the wood/fire?
            Exactly like that one, the have cheaper jobs than that here for A$20, mine been going for ages, its a bit melted at the front.

Just aim at the base of the fire, I do mine with the door ajar and the heat gun poked in, works a treat.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Do as you mentioned above and talk to the neighbor, things will be fine. Good neighbors come after a lot of effort, even when you are within your rights.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Check out Raffy's chimney, that should do the trick.
                Eric

Comment

"have been informed that he cant do anything about it, under law, anyway."

Nonetheless, your first strategy should be to co-op him into the pizza fraternity. Invite him over for pizza regularly. Having unhappy neighbors is not good, regardless of the legal status. Your initial notion of taking over a bottle of wine and explaining your oven operation is a good idea.
                  Last edited by Neil2; 12-22-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X