Is an 8 inch Duravent ok for 42 oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is an 8 inch Duravent ok for 42 oven

The instructions seem to indicate that the 42 needs a 10 inch duravent. I am about to order from FB but don't want to get one too small.

Thanks

Re: Is an 8 inch Duravent ok for 42 oven

is there no one who can comment on this. I really want to get my order in. Perhaps I misread the directions. It does look like the better builders have used an 8 inch, but it is hard to tell from the photos. Thanks for your input.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

I used the 8" Duratech anchor plate, pipe and cap on my 42" Pompeii. It does an outstanding job. Go for it!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

The FB plans I have show an 8" pipe.

Comment

Here is a picture of my 42 inch oven with a DuraVent anchor plate, 30 degre elbow, 48" straight section and then another 30 degree elbow. It draws like a steam train! The picture without the metal frame was a test run to see how well it ventedut the 30 degree set-up. There was no difference so I went with the set-up shown behind the metal framed enclosure which is the set-up I explained above...
          My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

PizzaBob, I have a question. My vent is under my newly constructed roof, and I could go straight up thru it, or do the 30 degree kit and angle it like you did and then I wouldn't have to cut my roof. You on the other hand seem to have a oven out in the open, and now you are using the metal framing around the oven. Why didn't you just go straight up, instead of the 30 degree thing. It obviously would have been cheaper and perhaps a better draw.

Tom

Comment

Hello Tom,

The ONLY reason I went with the 30 degrees was to get the vent to the center of the roof. The roof is a "hipped-roof" which has four angles that create a flat in the center of the enclosure. It's purely cosmetics as to why I used the 30 degrees. I wanted the vent to come out the center of the flat portion of the roof as opposed to coming through the angled portion. It seems to draw really well. If I need to I can add an additional straight section to the top to make it taller. But for now it seems okay.

My concern now is.....I used DensGlass (Georgia Pacific) as the enclosure. It's called DensGlass Fireguard (5/8" thick). I thought it would be fireproof but I called Georgia Pacific and they don't recommend haeting it over 125F! I have so much insulation (3" ceramic and then all loose vermiculite within the enclosure) so I'm not concerned about the walls or ceiling getting anywhere near 125F but the area around the front arch I believe will get over 125F! They said it's not flamable but gypsum is made up of 20% water and repeated temps of 125F can start to dry it out and may crumble.....UGH! The enclosure was just finished today!

~Bob
              My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

That sounds like CYA on their part. I have seen it exposed on the southern side of buildings all summer long and it had to have been over 150 degrees for extended periods.

Comment

Working...
                X