Cultured stone for dome exterior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultured stone for dome exterior

I have finished the dome, but haven't put the insulation around it yet. All my buddies love the dome look, so I have changed my mind about a "doghouse" enclosure and will be going with the igloo look. A couple of buddies think I could do some kind of cultured stone over the hemisphere, something small. They mentioned some kind of "paper backed lathe". Has anyone seen anything other than stucco for the igloo. I will be extending my outdoor kitchen roof to cover the dome, so it won't get direct rain, but it could get indirect rain, especially here in Florida ( tropical storms and such).

Thanks

Tom

Re: Cultured stone for dome exterior

I'm not aware of paper backed lathe, but small tile (1x1, 1.5x1.5) come in sheets with a poly netted backer to keep it all together. (Think of the stuff you've no doubt seen in shower enclosures and bathroom floors.) It's actually pretty flexible and due to the poly backer maintains spacing well... although, as you bend it the gaps will seem slightly bigger as the overall radius is downsized. (From flat, or 180*, the gaps would be 1/8, but as you make the radius smaller or pull the sides closer together, the gaps will elongate.)
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Paper backed lath is a pain to work with and will be doubly so trying to form it over the dome. Just use 2 layers of building paper under regular lath. Most cultured stone is somewhat large which will make it awkward on a dome.

Comment

I have become a fan of those who have the patience (not me) to mortar flat natural stone around their dome. I really like the detailed and rustic look. If it works with your landscaping and the general appearance of your property...Go for it !

Comment

Working...
        X